Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flexible work request

(6 Posts)
kitkatmum Mon 04-Jul-11 22:21:42

Hello, i've had post natal depression since the birth of my DS. I had several months off work as I was quite unable to function. I returned to work several months ago but remain on a high dose of antidepressants. A side effect of these is tiredness/reduced concentration.

I made a request for flexible working/reduced hours over a year ago. With the help of HR, my manager reluctantly agreed. However, in reality this did not take place and within a matter of a few weeks, I was doing full time hours once again.

I am expected to do numerous/excessive amounts of overtime each week. I am a lone parent to two small children. There is no work/life balance and I am struggling to cope.

I am now having childcare issues as I never know what time I am finishing and my DSis cannot continue to look after my dc. I am now looking for a childminder.

I have been to Occupational Health who recommended reduced hours and days and minimal overtime. They also recommended reduced responsibilities for a few months. My manager said he does not think he can agree to reduced hours due to staff vacancies. There is a high turn over of staff as the majority are female, with childcare responsibilities who cannot cope with the excessive workload or hours. I work in a large organisation and other workers in the same roles are able to work part time.

I have not had reduced responsibilities and have continued to work overtime regularly.

I plan to submit another request for flexible/reduced hours. If this is unsuccessful I will resign. Any advice on what to include? Thanks

kitkatmum Tue 05-Jul-11 10:40:25

Bump!

RockChick1984 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:06:34

No advice on the flexible working request for you, but I work in a company that treats the staff similar to this, on paper they are very flexible, and promote themselves as very keen on work/life balance but in reality it doesn't happen that way! Unfortunately I feel you will just have to refuse when your manager demands you work over your contracted hours (even if your contract states you may be expected to do some overtime they have still got to give you reasonable notice for it) and as you have got the backing of occupational health just refer your manager on to them. It may not make for the nicest working environment but it seems to work for some of the part time staff in my organisation. Good luck whatever happens.

Oblomov Tue 05-Jul-11 17:24:26

I am sorry, but how did this actually happen ? Whgen you said it was agreed, what was agreed ? to reduce it from 37.5 to 30, to 20. Was it not agreed what hours and days this would be ?
" However, in reality this did not take place and within a matter of a few weeks, I was doing full time hours once again."

How did this happen.
I work 20 hours. AT 4 pm. I get up and I leave. See you tomorrow, I say, on the way out.

Have you actually spoken to anyone about this ? What has your manager or HR said ?

kitkatmum Tue 05-Jul-11 19:58:54

Thanks Rock Chick - yes on paper they support a good work life balance but yet to see this in practice.

Oblomov - manager agreed 3 days. Work load not decreased accordingly. We have very tight deadlines - work HAS to be completed. It was either do the work for free on days of or go in and get paid for it.

The nature of the job means we are not able to just walk out at the end of the day.

Manager was not really interested. HR have said it is up to the individual managers to make decisions on flexible working.

Oblomov Wed 06-Jul-11 10:30:17

But you had it in writing that your application for a flexible working request had been agreed. You have a letter to say so ? what does the letter say ? does it stipulate 3 days?
I think you need Flowery, or one of our other FAB HR gurus' to help yopu with the legality aspects, of a company not complying with the agreemment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now