Talk

Advanced search

What exactly is bullying/harassment at work?

(6 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Mon 27-Jun-11 23:30:57

How much compensation do you get when you win?

SenoritaViva Tue 28-Jun-11 09:56:29

That is like saying how long is a piece of string. It depends on the circumstances and the impact to the victim.

flowery Tue 28-Jun-11 10:32:08

Here's one definition:

Bullying at work involves repeated negative actions and practices that are directed at one or more workers. The behaviours are unwelcome to the victim and undertaken in circumstances where the victim has difficulty in defending themselves. The behaviours may be carried out as a deliberate act or unconsciously. These behaviours cause humiliation, offence and distress to the victim. The outcomes of the bullying behaviours have been shown to cause psychological distress which affects social and work behaviour.

But even if something could be defined as bullying doesn't mean there's necessarily a legal claim to be made or compensation available.

If the person feels they have been driven to leave their job, and claim constructive dismissal, if they win that claim (tricky to do) then compensation would be based on financial loss only. If it could be discriminatory bullying, ie related to gender, race, ethnicity etc, then there might be more compensation available.

What's happening?

Putthatbookdown Thu 30-Jun-11 23:11:59

Boss yelling and screaming Not following the contractural rights for representation - warnings - staff rep too afraid to help Home: assaulted by a colleague's husband -I do not know him

flowery Fri 01-Jul-11 09:14:33

Have you raised a grievance about all of this?

Mearcat Fri 01-Jul-11 19:55:58

Log everything, collect as much evidence as you possibly can. If they are giving you formal warnings then this should be through the disciplinary procedure and you should be allowed a colleague or trade union rep to accompany you .... if they are not letting you then do not say anything in the hearing apart from 'I would like my rep please' keep repeating yourselve if need be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now