Talk

Advanced search

Working notice

(3 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Mon 27-Jun-11 14:57:11

I have to give 3 months notice. I am currently off work with a stress induced illness. I have not told work its related to stress as this is very much frowned upon.

I really want to leave and I am trying to sort out an alternative. Does anyone know is it possible to work your notice whilst you are off sick? I spoke to my boss over the weekend and when I came off the phone my chest was so tight I could hardly breath and I had a banging headache. The thought of actually going back is unbearable.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to manage this situation? I have been there for a while and worked very, very hard I don't want to leave on bad terms.

Bradsmum Mon 27-Jun-11 15:00:52

You are perfectly entitled to give notice while you are off sick. However, I wouldn't ignore the fact that it is stress related - it would give the company some pointers to act upon to improve the situation going forward whether or not you resign. Relating your resignation to stress shouldn't lead to bad terms.

flowery Mon 27-Jun-11 19:51:50

You can just as easily serve your notice while off sick as you can when in the office, so if you remain signed off work for the duration of your notice period you won't have to go back in.

If you're certain you want to resign there's no reason to think it would mean leaving on bad terms if you tell your employer you are leaving because of the stressful nature of your job and the fact that it's causing/contributing to health problems.

I agree with Bradsmum that you should tell them. Otherwise you end up with the situation where lots of people leave because of stress, no one says anything, meaning no pattern is identified and nothing done to address the problem. At least give them the opportunity to do something about it in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now