Talk

Advanced search

Calculation of maternity pay - help!!

(4 Posts)
Page62 Fri 24-Jun-11 15:45:47

I have just started my maternity leave and been sent the calculation of my maternity leave pay. I think I am right in thinking that the first six weeks is based on 90 pct of earnings but they seem to calculate this based on average weekly earnings. For some reason, they averaged out the feb and march pay I got ( something to do with the 15th week of something or rather?). anyway, march is when we get paid our bonus - I work in investment banking so this is not an insignificant amount of my annual compensation. Soooo my average weekly earnings calc for maternity leave pay is considerably higher. Is this correct and just sheer luck? I do remember hr in a previous bank I worked for saying try to time pregnancy for June due to this quirk in calculations ( and march was also the bonus month there....). just never paid any attention before. Can anyone help?

LIZS Fri 24-Jun-11 15:55:47

Sounds right - they take an average your actual pay over 8 specific weeks of pg. then calculate 90%

"To calculate your average weekly earnings your employer will average your gross earnings over a period of at least eight weeks up to and including the last payday before the end of your qualifying week. The qualifying week is the 15th week before the week your baby is due."http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_175917

LIZS Fri 24-Jun-11 15:56:11

sorry www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_175917

Page62 Fri 24-Jun-11 16:05:32

Ah, very kind! Thanks for that might just be lucky then!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now