Talk

Advanced search

my job is in the paper today.......

(11 Posts)
SenSationsMad Thu 23-Jun-11 20:33:03

well, its for another person to work along side me, same area, same hours. The starting wage starts at only £900 less than what I'm getting, and I've been in the job for 5 yrs.

I feel hard done by, unloved and I'm sulking sad

WWYD

Northernlurker Thu 23-Jun-11 20:34:09

When did you last get a salary rise?

SenSationsMad Thu 23-Jun-11 21:03:32

March.

Thing is, I thought I had a really decent wage until I saw the ad in the paper!

Logging off now - date night with DH grin

reallytired Thu 23-Jun-11 21:06:33

I suppose a lot depends on what your job is. If they are wanting an experienced person then its not unreasonable for them to pay that person a similar amount to you.

If the person that they recruit can do the job as well as you then surely its fair to pay them a similar amount.

adamschic Thu 23-Jun-11 21:14:56

If it's the same job then why should they be paid considerably less than you?

If you had to leave a job for what ever reason then you would want your skills to be remunerated accordingly at another company.

At least they aren't advertising your actually job at minimum wage and believe it or not that sort of thing does go on, especially when the new government starts chipping away at employees rights.

Northernlurker Thu 23-Jun-11 21:16:05

Right so the person they recruit should be as experienced as you then. I agree with reallytired - if they are trying to recruit another you then you should both be on similar salaries. If you end up supervising or training the other person that's when you should be complaining!

flowery Fri 24-Jun-11 08:14:53

Yes I agree with everyone else. If it's the same job at the same level then unless the person they recruit doesn't quite meet the criteria in terms of skills and experience then it's absolutely right they get paid about the same as you. If you previously felt your salary was good then recruiting someone else on a similar salary shouldn't change your view at all.

As was said below, you wouldn't expect to have to take a salary cut if you moved to do your job at a new employer.

SenSationsMad Fri 24-Jun-11 08:30:40

Okay, thanks for your input.

I wasn't sure if I was BU, But thought that a good track record for the last 5 years meant I would be on a different pay scale.

My DH couldn't help, so MN was a good sounding board grin

QueenKate Tue 28-Jun-11 16:21:37

You agreed to do the job for a certain wage. However much someone else agrees to do it for, isn't really any of your business!
You agreed to the wage and were probably quite happy with it. Don't let this spoil that for you :-)

mollymole Tue 28-Jun-11 16:39:55

You thought you were on a decent wage - so what exactly is your problem - the new person will be on less than you - or perhaps they should be paid the same as you as they will be doing the same job

WiiUnfit Wed 29-Jun-11 19:34:57

Whilst I understand why this may have made you feel a bit sad please think about the other side of the coin - if you went into a new job with another company, why should you be paid the lowest end of the scale if you were up to the same standard, if not of a higher calibre, than Mrs Jones who had been there for 15 years? hmm Surely you would want to be paid a similar, if not the same, sum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now