Talk

Advanced search

Feel sick - just found out I have been overpaid

(16 Posts)
steben Mon 20-Jun-11 14:04:35

Does anyone have any exp of this and can help me or share what they did if it happened to them?

Found out this morning that I have been paid full time when I should only have been paid for 4 days a week since I went back to work in November. We get electronic payslips and to be honest I never look and just assumed it was right as mney goes into joint account and I rarely look at our statements and DH does it all. I know I have to pay it back but my ointract here ends in 3 months - will they want it all back by then? Just worked it out and will probably be about £4k - feel sick - have no idea what DH will say as he will probably blame me. I feel so stupid.

Grevling Mon 20-Jun-11 15:10:01

Just keep quiet and hope they don't notice. If they ask for it back pay up then.

Clarence15 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:16:03

How did you find out, did your employer tell you or have you just noticed yourself?

Either way it's an admin error on your employers behalf and I doubt they'll ask you to pay it back (or have they already told you you will?)

If it was us (I work in payroll) we'd prob write it off as an expensive error and just put you on the correct salary going forward.

If they've not actually told you, it's up to you whether you tell them or not. There's a good chance they won't notice if you've been paid that amount since Nov though, and if you're leaving in 6mths anyway........wink

AnnaBegins Mon 20-Jun-11 15:21:19

This happened to my mum and she was told she had to pay it all back as the onus was on her to have noticed, not her employer. In her case it had happened for a whole year so they gave her a year to pay it back out of wages, effectively a year-long pay cut! So I would tell your employer incase they demand it back in a lump sum in a few months time.

BerylOfLaughs Mon 20-Jun-11 15:23:14

If they haven't noticed, start saving up now in case they ask you to pay it back.
If they have noticed and want you to pay it back ask for a payment plan over a year.

bringinghomethebacon Mon 20-Jun-11 15:24:04

Something like this happened to me. I was overpaid by £243 a month for about 18 months as when I started work I asked for childcare vouchers and they gave me the vouchers but didn't deduct them from my salary. I was genuinely ignorant as childcare vouchers were marked on my payslip, just not deducted from my gross amount and what with all the other deductions I wouldn't have noticed unless I sat down with a calculator.

I was told by my employer and was very shocked. They asked for any comments/representations about the money and gave two possible ways of recouping it (in monthly salary or from annual bonus) before they made a decision. I wrote a letter explaining my genuine ignorance, how shocked I was and the fact that I had recently taken out a large mortgage on the basis of what I thought was my correct net pay (my broker and mortgage company hadn't noticed the error either!). I was told then that the firm had decided to only recoup overpayments in the current tax year, but as it transpired they never asked for anything back. Part of the problem for them was a lot of people were affected and at least three had left the firm so it would have maybe been unfair to recoup from those still there but not from those who had left.

If it is you who have noticed and not your employer I would keep quiet, save the extra pay for the next few months and don't spend it and leave ASAP! AS it is much harder for them to get the money back once you have left.

wimpybar Mon 20-Jun-11 15:26:27

this also happened to me and the took it back! was only one month overpayment though. i would come clean as it would worry me!

cat64 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:26:32

Message withdrawn

cat64 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:28:56

Message withdrawn

NightLark Mon 20-Jun-11 15:39:00

I was overpaid throughout my last ML (couldn't have worked it out myself as it was undifferentiated lump-sums each month, but the mat pay calculations had been wrongly based on a one-off overpayment for overtime before I started ML)

I had to pay it all back - was a couple of thousand pounds.

I got a payment plan from HR and paid back over 10 months.

I could have taken longer, but there were no apologies, it was seen as my fault for not noticing angry

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-Jun-11 15:41:41

I would start saving as it's highly likely they'll ask for it back.

I came back from a year's mat leave to find that they had miscalculated the repayments from my season ticket loan 5 years before. There was £400 outstanding. I had just gone back part time and was made to pay back £50 a month until it was cleared. I was absolutely furious but there was apparently nothing I could do even though it was entirely their fault.

TheGoddessBlossom Mon 20-Jun-11 15:48:05

I was overpaid. Had to pay it all back, in monthly installments.

Do believe in karma though as some years later it was observed that I had been underpaid for a year - that was nice! grin

zingzillachinchilla Mon 20-Jun-11 15:52:05

HAve to say I agree with Cat on this - however, they have to offer you the option of a payment plan. It would be unreasonable for them not to.

steben Tue 21-Jun-11 08:40:16

Oh I think it is my fault def - however i think my return to work has been mishandled and whilst I am fully prepared to pay it back I am def going to be appeal. Was going through it with line manager and basically my previous line manager didnt do any of the things she should have done properly. From the looks of it i can decide a payment plan so at least it wont be a lump sum which is something. Thanks for the comments.

LadyLapsang Tue 21-Jun-11 22:52:18

I don't see how its your employers fault that you cut your work by 20% and then got paid the same and you didn't notice. Are they still overpaying you now? If you want to be honest then I would own up and I'm sure they will come to some agreement about repaying the overpayment. If you chose to be dishonest and not say anything then I think you should be saving the overpayment as if they notice they can stop your pay straight away. Also, what happens if they mention it in a reference - lack of attention to detail and / or dishonesty.

Tuppenyrice Wed 22-Jun-11 12:07:14

I was overpaid once and yes they asked for it back. I hadn't even noticed! So I paid them in installments.
I am shit with money sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now