Talk

Advanced search

NHS bank/ HR issues... please, I really need help :(

(13 Posts)
you Fri 17-Jun-11 18:57:52

I feel like I'm pretty stuffed tbh.

I quit my nursing post within the NHS last month (middle May) as i wanted to drop down to doing just 1 shift per month on bank. I asked to be put onto bank and my manager said she'd sorted it at the same time as my resignation. Fine. Since then I've been working bank shifts and rang up the bank office yesterday to find out if I had to bring anything along with me to accompany my first tiomesheet, ID or anything. To cut a long story short I spoke to (an incredibly rude and horrible) woman who's said that I'm actually not on the bank register and my employment has been terminated so I'm effectively no-one. Apparently they sent me out a form to join the bank staff in the post at the beginning of May but this form has never arrived (I'm suspicious of this as I've been told they were different forms by different people and there's no evidence/ photocopies of anything that was sent to me in my file. The woman who supposedly sent me the forms is off sick).

I was told initially on the phone that if I had filled in this form (an HR2) when it arrived, I would've become bank staff immediately, however because I didn't and now my employment has ceased, that form is null and void and I need to fill in an HR1, complete with CRB check (which I need to pay for myself), refernces, proof of pin, possibly an interview and all sorts of other stuff. I went to visit the office today and spoke to someone who backtracked and said it was an HR1 all along. Of course there's no proof of anything since no-one photocopied anything.

I suspect getting me onto the bank staff list is something I'll just have to accept now will not be as easy as it should have been ie, I'll need to pay for my CRB, fill in references etc and the matter of where these 'forms' are will remain a mystery but in the meanwhile I've had to cancel the shifts I was due to work thereby losing out on money we need.

Anyway, the main issue now is that they are catagorically refusing to pay me for the shifts I've already worked. Honestly, I don't know therefore who my issue is with regarding getting paid. I have technically worked these shifts (that were authorised by my manager and bank despite not being on payroll) as a 'stranger' with no CRB etc and no-one is taking responsibility for paying me. I'm not employed by the trust and despite having emails to/from manager, plus a signed timesheet, no-one will pay me! Union have been spectacularly unhelpful, though I have yet to contact my local representative which I'll do on Monday. I honestly don't know where to go from here, solicitor, threatening leters to the director, what? sad

Thanks if you've got this far, any help would be appreciated.

hairylights Fri 17-Jun-11 19:07:05

My first point of call would be the person who booked you and signed off your time sheets.

you Fri 17-Jun-11 19:12:33

That'd be my mangager who booked me (although on the phone she said yesterday it was authorised by the bank office who say they have nothing to do with me) and tbh the people who signed my timesheets are just other nurses whon were on shift with me at that time, so nothing to do with them. I have proof that I worked the shifts, and my manager filled out a form to get me paid- it's just that no-one can pay me! Payroll can't as I'm not employed by them, therefore not on their 'system', ditto Bank.

you Fri 17-Jun-11 19:15:36

I did ask the bank team if I could join the staff then get pay backdated but they've told me they will NOT be paying me and to take my issue up elsewhere- which I can kind of understand as frankly this is a bit of a monumental cock-up as I technically was working these shifts without having proved a clean CRB, good references, a valid PIN etc (which is illegal I guess, despite having worked on the unit within my contract just the week before my first 'bank' shift)

Metters Fri 17-Jun-11 19:31:48

I have experienced this in my past life in the NHS and once the employee was fully registered with the bank, the shift they worked was paid. I suspect the manager of the nursing bank is annoyed that you have worked the shift without their authorisation. Should shifts that are available be booked through the bank not directly from the ward?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Jun-11 19:36:04

Well I'm sure its totally illegal to not pay for hours worked. Hopefully your union person will be able to advise, if not go to CAB.

you Fri 17-Jun-11 19:40:37

Metters- due to the unit I work on, I book shifts through the ward rather than through bank, which they're fine with. I'm 100% sure they won't back down though on the payment issue,though as they insist I'm nothing to do with them and have worked the shifts 'randomly' and it's nothing to do with them. I went in today to ask in person if it was possible to backdate it but apparently they've only done it once before in a different type of scenario and they won't get themselves involved in this.

I will definetly be contacting CA on Monday as well as my union rep- I agree I don't see how it can be legal!

you Sat 18-Jun-11 09:52:23

Bump

tink123 Sat 18-Jun-11 10:05:27

are you a qualified nurse or hca? If so I would go back to them and ask what would have happened if you had done something wrong - insurance etc. I mean how bad would it be in terms of safeguarding patients if they had let someone who was not registered, look after them

tink123 Sat 18-Jun-11 10:06:59

Sorry, reread post. Sounds like you are RN. I would go to director of patient services and put it to them.

xiaojree Sat 18-Jun-11 13:24:28

Message deleted

agedknees Sat 18-Jun-11 20:45:31

Where you the only reg nurse on the ward that you did your bank shifts on? If so, and they refuse to pay you surely that means that the shift you covered did not have a qualified nurse on?

I would get back to your union. Have you tried the employment section on the RCN forum? It's a very useful site.

Surely if you have a signed timesheet they would have to pay you? Escalate it up to the chief exec.

xiaojdd Sun 19-Jun-11 01:33:53

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now