Talk

Advanced search

To take redundancy or not - have to decide today

(4 Posts)
itbird Wed 15-Jun-11 16:37:31

Due to a relocation, i have the ooportunity to take voluntary redundancy - payment will be 6 months salary, i am in receipt of tax credits etc - what shall i do ? Given that the new site is a sixty mile round trip three days a week but they are paying mileage for three years so that is a boost to my salary - whats troubling me is the time issue with the kids, different regime in new location etc thats the cons the pros are employer offers great flexi time, holidays and i did like my job and its only 3 days a week so great with the kids but it was only great in the old location not so in the new place due to the travelling - what advice do you have for me generally please ?

carocaro Wed 15-Jun-11 17:28:31

Six months goes by in the blink of an eye so the cash won't last that long (I speak from experience - DH redundancy) and it may take that long to get another job, the job sounds good with the flexibility, 30 miles there and 30 miles back not too bad, ask yourself would you miss the job if you left it? what if you were unable to find something else? What is the current job market like?

If I were you, I'd stick with it, then if you are finding it tough, start to look around. All that child free time in the car sounds good to me! Kids are pretty adaptable I am sure they would be fine.

itbird Wed 15-Jun-11 18:15:45

Thanks for replying - was thinking the same really - there will be a restructure later on in the year which may involve being redeployed elsewhere or at the worst compulsory redundancy. I think i will hang in there and see how it goes - I do love my job its just the travelling but i guess i will get used to it - thanks for the advice xx

crystalglasses Wed 15-Jun-11 18:18:14

By law, can't you try it out for a certain period and then take the redundancy if you don't think it's working out for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now