Talk

Advanced search

How did you find your current (or most recent) job?

(2 Posts)
MeantToStopAtTwo Tue 14-Jun-11 18:24:56

As one who is currently knee-deep in job-hunting, I've been thinking today about how I got my previous jobs. Not one of them involved the traditional route of responding to an ad and competing at interview with a pool of other candidates.

Job 1 came via word of mouth. A friend was approached about it but had already accepted something else. She mentioned that she had a friend who might possibly be interested. That friend was me. smile

Job 2 was also via word of mouth, through a family contact. It was a great match for me and my time there was the happiest of my working life. The funny thing is that, if I had seen it advertised, I'm not sure I would even have applied!

Job 3 came as the result of a speculative application. I randomly rang them up one day, said I liked the sound of them, and asked if they were likely to be recruiting anytime soon. Just weeks later, I was working there.

Job 4 I did some temp work for an agency. My fifth assignment decided to take me on permanently.

HarrietJones Tue 14-Jun-11 19:16:30

County council intranet. Previous 3 were same. Also local paper

Dh recent ones were mailing list I was on, job centre, friend,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now