Talk

Advanced search

Field based job- What's the deal with pregnancy / mat leave in a field sakes role?(out on road)

(5 Posts)
mytime777 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:19:59

I have asked this a little while back but still feel I need some more opinions.
My role is based from home, I am out on the rias drivibg all around the country. Home based one day per week.
What are the rights to a pregnant women in this case. Would I be entitled to ask to work 5 days from home based office and not be out on road ?or would I be expected to carry on drivibg as normal up until due? Driving I imagine would be very uncomfortable and also would keep needing the loo!

mytime777 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:21:36

Sorry about typos. I'm trying it from my phone for 1st time!! wink

flowery Tue 14-Jun-11 17:14:45

How pregnant are you? Driving shouldn't be uncomfortable in a 'normal' pregnancy until right at the end - I know I was driving until almost my due date (although not all day, granted). Are you having particular problems or has your doctor/midwife indicated that you might have particular problems?

mytime777 Tue 14-Jun-11 21:46:47

Well I'm not pregnant yet but am planning. With this in mind I am also in process if deciding whether to get a new job- few issues. One of the other reasons is I do drive all day and all over the country. Think I would rather have an office based role when pregnant. Plus if starting a new job I may jeopardise my mat pay hence why I am considering staying in my current one.
As u can probably tell I am a worrier and over think situations...
Do I stay in current field role and get mat pay but have to travel with a bump/ try to get them to allow me to work from home or get an office based role and risk not getting full mat pay ?
confused

LTJ7 Sun 19-Jun-11 19:10:24

I had a field-based role when I was pregnant, and HR requested that I complete a risk assessment form, as they do for all pregnant employees. This gives you an opportunity to outline and agree with your manager that which you both feel to be reasonable. I covered driving hours within this. I was lucky in that I had good support from management. I found the driving to be okay, TBH: you can get an adaptable seat belt for when the bump gets larger; I did need to stop every 2 hours for the loo; I always made sure I had drinks and snacks in the car, just in case. I averaged about 6 hours a day driving, I think, with one day at home. I worked up until the final month but kept within 1 hours drive of home for that month, just in case. I hope that helps a wee bit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now