Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work as a practice manager in a dental surgery?

(7 Posts)
Dennty Thu 09-Jun-11 14:53:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blabalalalablabla Thu 09-Jun-11 15:01:05

no direct experience but I'm guessing you might need to think about:

stock control
invoices and ordering
appointments system
contracts? is it a private clinic?
patient details - databases?

Will you be line managing anyone? Receptionist?
Will there be a dental hygienist? Dental nurses etc?

Lizcat Thu 09-Jun-11 15:06:52

Not a dentist, but a vet and I know it's not that different. So we are clinicians we are crap at admin etc. So normally the practice manager would do everything from organising staff rotas to making sure there are enough tea bags. Things that my practice manager does is negotiates uitlity bills, organises rubbish collection of all types, pays the money into the bank, pays all the bills, chases me about my tax return, does staff wages, she runs all my management accounts and places them under my nose and finally she makes a very good cup of tea. The qualities I look for are organisation, the ability to self manage, good book keeping skills, the ability to nag me until I actually do it, ability to keep track of several different projects at a time and finally the ability to prevent all those nasty sales reps from anonying me. Oh yes also makes a good cup of tea did I mention how important that is.
Most of us don't know what we want out of a practice manager and the role evolves has it goes along. She is also an excellent listener and very discrete.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 15:09:41

I have worked as a dental receptionist for years..if you want to be a Practice Manager you would need quite a lot of training in submitting NHS claims etc (if its an NHS dentist)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 09-Jun-11 15:10:42

but well done for getting a second interview, they must think you can do it smile

Vintagepommery Thu 09-Jun-11 21:08:44

as Lizcat says plus dealing with complaints - ie have a complaints procedure in place.

mepsopie Mon 13-Jun-11 20:27:15

Hello. Just joined today. I can't work without my practice manager. I agree with everything Lizcat has to say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: