Talk

Advanced search

I can't get to work. License revoked. Maybe short time, or maybe 12 mths. WWYD

(12 Posts)
Oblomov Mon 06-Jun-11 15:08:35

I do have another thread going. thread
But I wondered what I was supposed to do about work. I have phoned them. But I don't want to quit. I like my job. I am very highly paid for what I do ( I joined when salaries were on a high and now they have crashed) and it is very easy.

The consultant seemed so flippant. I left a message trying to explain what a huge affect this is going to have on my life.

Do I ask for holiday ? or what do I do ? My boss said that he wasn't expecting me in tomorrow, so atleast thta gives me a bit more breathing space.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 06-Jun-11 15:12:47

Taxi?

If I went to work there and back it would cost me £15 a day (the same cost as my car payment a month)

AMumInScotland Mon 06-Jun-11 15:19:20

Can you do any work from home? Maybe you could go in one or two days a week to pick up work and catch up with manager/colleagues/whatever and do the work from home the rest of the time?

coccyx Mon 06-Jun-11 15:19:59

bus, bike

Lizcat Mon 06-Jun-11 15:31:15

I have a friend who has twice in the last two years lost his licence due to first and brain bled and then having a stent fit to another potential bleed site. He did a mix of working from home, doing the train commute (again quite tortuous), finding car shares with other collegues and finally his wife delievering and collecting him from work.

RickGhastley Mon 06-Jun-11 15:34:24

"Access to work" (google them) provide support for 2 of my colleagues to get to work (one is blind and has a support worker and the other has mobility problems and a taxi is provided)

Oblomov Mon 06-Jun-11 16:09:15

15 miles. 2 juctions on the m25. dropping ds1(7) off in my home town, for pre school club. taking ds2 with me, to my work site where there is a nursery.
phoned cab. £40. so £240 per week. I am not even sure I bring home thta much after nursery fees !!
train 2 hrs.3 changes. into london, back out again.
no colleagues come from my area at all.
trying check out the bus routes, now.

Oblomov Mon 06-Jun-11 16:10:01

access to work couldn't help. I rang them, but we both agreed I didn't fit the elibility.

craftynclothy Mon 06-Jun-11 16:24:18

There's a car share website, might be worth looking at. Post an ad locally? - Netmums noticeboard? Local paper?

<clutches straws>

notwavingjustironing Mon 06-Jun-11 16:27:47

If it's going to be for a specific period of time, why don't you see if a local taxi firm will organise a fixed term contract with you at a sensible price?

Can you work from home some of the time to reduce costs?

JetLi Tue 07-Jun-11 16:22:31

Does work have another office you could work from, that would be easier to get to via public transport maybe?

iskra Thu 09-Jun-11 14:29:56

any chance your DP can give you a lift? Not ideal I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now