Talk

Advanced search

job change - planned summer holidays

(6 Posts)
mousymouse Fri 03-Jun-11 21:13:46

a friend has had a few job interviews and the last one might result in a job offer (interview with hr next week).
what about planned (and booked) summer holidays? new job would star mid july, holiday mid august.
I said to mention it, but could they refuse because of probation period? how is this handled generally?

tallulah Fri 03-Jun-11 21:23:00

Generally anything already booked (within reason) should be honoured. She needs to mention it before she starts work.

Takeresponsibility Sun 05-Jun-11 10:42:35

Generally booked leave is honoured but it depends on the contract, whilst one has an entitlement to a certain amount of leave the employer does not have to let you take it when you want.

flowery Sun 05-Jun-11 13:43:46

They could certainly refuse, probationary period or not, but as others have said most employers would honour pre-booked holiday if possible. As it's so soon after she's started and would presumably require a substantial chunk of her annual leave entitlement, one possibility is they may ask her to take unpaid leave instead.

BiggerAndBadder Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:18

i just accepted a job which starts beginning of july. After they offered, I told them i had pre booked family holiday abroad for 2 weeks last 2 weeks in july! ie 2 weeks after i start!
They were fine - just said it was one of those things, no problem.

mousymouse Mon 06-Jun-11 09:34:45

thanks ladies, I hope the hr interview goes well and that the job is offered (woud be much better salary and career wise). it is only one week booked holidays but originally 2 weeks leave planned. hope they can accept that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: