Talk

Advanced search

Etiquette of job hunting

(4 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Thu 02-Jun-11 21:43:45

Do you apply for lots of jobs, hoping you get something, what happens if you get offered a job accept then get offered a better one?

Sorry I do work p/t but also self employed looking to go f/t, only ever applied for one job at a time but can't afford not to in this climate. Have applied for a great one but do I do back up applications just in case?

givemeaclue Fri 03-Jun-11 10:32:35

Yes apply for lots of jobs. in this climate people don't just apply for one at a time. If you get offered one and then a better one comes along you ring up the first one and say 'I am awfully sorry, I was delighted to accept your job offer but I have subsequently been offered a different role that I would prefer to accept and so I sadly will no longer be able to accept the role offered by you.' then send a letter following up thanking them for their time and apologising for any inconvenience caused etc.

people accept jobs and then decline them all the time, its not uncommon. just be polite and professional - you may wish to go back to employer A in the future.

hope your job hunting works out and that you do indeed get lots of offers!

what is it that you do?

hogsback Fri 03-Jun-11 10:45:39

Apply for lots. Tailor your CV and cover letter to each job - don't just send a generic CV and letter out to each one. As givemeaclue says for withdrawing an offer acceptance. It's really not a big deal.

fivegomadindorset Fri 03-Jun-11 20:29:50

Thank you for that, SIL said the exact same thing.

I do at the moment, run a B&B with my DH, work in a library 2 days a week usually and do the bookkeeping for my mother's shop. I am finally getting around to doing my Bookkeeping qualifications, the job I want is a finance assistant, and the pay will at leaset reassure me that my children will be clothed and fed every month. The B&B is busy but with everything costing so much more it would be nice to get a salary in every month and then also hopefully get a weekend of a month to do things with DC's.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: