Talk

Advanced search

Time off work to look after sick children - WDYD?

(19 Posts)
Rob1n Tue 31-May-11 11:28:09

When our DS is poorly, myself or my DH have to book holiday to take time off work to look after him, just wondering how other people manage with their employers in this scenario because I don't know what we will do when holidays run out! We don't have relatives nearby (not that I would expect them to step in). So far it has been just the odd day but at the moment he seems to have some sort of tummy bug so it could be a few days. My employer would probably agree to me working from home and there is plenty of work I would be able to do from home, but last time I tried that it was pretty impossible with a toddler running around. My DH says that some of his colleagues phone in sick when their kids are sick but I wouldn't be happy doing that.
Just interested how others manage?.....

Pinkjenny Tue 31-May-11 11:30:41

Either holidays or emergency leave which is unpaid.

CMOTdibbler Tue 31-May-11 11:45:44

I save annual leave to allow for covering sick days

iPadwidow Tue 31-May-11 14:22:13

I take annual leave too. I wouldn't be happy taking sick leave unless I was sick too.

I work from home a lot and this is a good option when my DS is really sick - flaked out and sleepy with a temperature - but if he just isn't ok to go to nursery but still quite lively then as you say it's pretty impossible to do this.

lateatwork Tue 31-May-11 18:45:28

we are lucky as we have a friend living nearby that can normally step in on short notice. we have no family nearby either. i wouldnt be happy taking sick leave either- unless I was ill.

shinyshoes Tue 31-May-11 18:47:02

I ring up sick for myself

vickibee Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:05

you are allowed to take unpaid leave if your children are sick

mollymole Wed 01-Jun-11 13:13:14

well shineyshoes i'm glad i don't employ you
if our staff were honest and truthful we accomodate them - if they are liars then they are down the road
it works both ways you know

shinyshoes Wed 01-Jun-11 13:51:59

i very rarely go sick mollymole I have been at my place of work for 10 years and can count my sick days on one hand. My children aren't usually ill and when they are I call in sick for ME.

There are some right sicknotes at our place that use their full sick entitlement every year, full pay then half pay, there is currently one that is coming off her half pay next week and i'm habing to uproot as she needs my location as it's better for her and her bad back. They don't in anyway take my opinions into consideration.

Like I said i'm rarely sick and if on the very rareist occasion my child needs me I will go sick as they firm won't pay me if my childs ill as they don't 'accomodate ' the ones that rarely go sick.

I don't care if that's selfish

katvond Wed 01-Jun-11 13:54:37

I work for myself but in the past I have had to use annual leave if DD as been poorly. Luckily we have grandparents near by so they are always at hand to help us.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 02-Jun-11 14:26:42

It's not selfish, Shinyshoes, it's fraud, and a sackable offence.

Pelagia Thu 02-Jun-11 14:32:24

Depends what DH is working, he works funny shifts which sometimes helps. (Equally is sometimes a total PITA!) Usually I go and get some work from the office and take it home. What I don't get done in the day I do once DC are in bed. But I have a v good clause about working flexibly in my contract. And I work damn hard and do a v good job so my employers don't mind.

Shinyshoes I can see a big flaming coming your way but I can totally see where you are coming from.

muminlondon Thu 02-Jun-11 23:46:42

shineyshoes I would hate to tempt fate and say I was ill when I was looking after sick children. Really feeling sick while you clean up other people's vomit is hellish. Maybe that's why the evil norovirus seems to affect family members in stages (someone's got to be fit enough to clean up).

But you are allowed reasonable time off for dependants in emergencies and in some companies it's paid for a short time.

Rob1n Sat 04-Jun-11 16:10:28

the emergency/unpaid leave thing, i guess that just depends on your employer? Apparently I am only entitled to take emergency leave when I have been there for 3 years, which seems a bit daft, and I am outside of this by a few months. I understand your reasoning shineyshoes. I too am lucky to be very rarely sick myself, yet half my office seem to have some sort of ongoing ailment or recurring condition that they call upon to excuse themselves away "oh, my head/back/chest/arms" and it frustrates me that they seem to have no trouble taking unjustified endless time off whilst I feel incredibly guilty for an odd day. Although that doesn't make it right, what if you do become ill and need a length of time off, would that still be ok to take days off sick for your kids?

ILoveUMama Sat 23-Jul-11 08:00:03

I take off unpaid days when my boys are sick and it hurts for sure because they get sick alot because they are in preschool and I bring home stuff from working at the preschool and in the hospital. I take sick days for myself because I get sick alot too. I worry that eventualy it will cost me my jobs, but I do not have anyone else to watch the boys if they can not go to preschool. I just try to keep us all well fed, groomed, and rested and hope to not get sick. That is all anyone can do really.

soymama Sat 23-Jul-11 08:58:14

Shineyshoes, I do the same! I didn't realize I was 'breaking the law' blush

<runs for cover>

AllThreeWays Sat 23-Jul-11 09:14:42

Wow that sucks, over here (Australia) parental sick leave can be taken for your kids in most jobs. Wanders off shaking head a how it is possible to work with kids in the UK

fgaaagh Sat 23-Jul-11 18:39:54

We take turns in taking the holiday days so it's paid.

We only use 1 week of our allowance each for a family break at the spring time (mostly work through Christmas which we don't mind as offices are quieter and less stressful then anyway!).. so the rest is just reserved for taking time off for kids holidays/sickness.

It has worked okay so far, but that does rely on both of us being able to do it - i realise some parents employers don't allow people to take emergency holidays at the last minute and have to take unpaid parental leave. So we're quite fortunate.

ILoveUMama Sun 24-Jul-11 06:56:02

I live in the USA and they allow 5 personal sick days a year, 2 weeks long term sick leave, and you build up hours of personal vacation days based on the amount of hours you work and how long you have been with the company. They do not care if you use your sick days for your children, but you do have to bring in a doctors note from your doctor or your child's doctor for the sick day to be approved otherwise it is considered an unexcused absence. That rule sticnks because you do not always need to take a child to the doctor if they just have a stomach bug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now