Talk

Advanced search

Opinions needed please

(5 Posts)
icantthinkofausername Mon 30-May-11 19:20:32

hi just wanted over people's opinions on this please cause I'm not to sure if I'm over reacting.

Ok so the thing is I made a mistake at work nothing major but something I expect my manager to speak to me about, anyway she hasnt spoken to me about it yet however I overheard members of staff talking about me today and what I had done so it looks to me like the manager has spoken about it to them before speaking to me.

I'm really annoyed about this that over people know about it. Am I over reacting?

Grevling Wed 01-Jun-11 08:25:04

Depends what the mistake was and the cost. Best ideal is to be open about it tell people you screwed up but such is life.

posypom Wed 01-Jun-11 09:44:46

I'd probably be annoyed too, but I work in an office where gossip flows very quickly so could it be that your manager only spoke to one other colleague (e.g. a peer or his/hers) for advice and then that person has spread it around?

If you want to confront it then sit down with your manager and say you want to make sure you're doing everything you can to make amends (or whatever is appropriate given the mistake). I'd avoid mentioning the gossip you've heard as it might come across as petulant (I don't think it is but it could look that way) and just try to rise above it.

I hate office gossip too - so irritating and unfair most of the time.

flowery Wed 01-Jun-11 09:46:52

Um, if you made a mistake is there a reason you didn't speak to your manager yourself about it? Why are you waiting for her to come to you?

Whether it's reasonable for other members of staff to know depends who they are and what the mistake is really.

mollymole Wed 01-Jun-11 09:48:28

approach the manager yourself first and ask for their advice about what you have done and how you can put it right - this is much better than keeping quiet and waiting to be picked up on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now