Talk

Advanced search

teacher employment issues, I think I am being primed for redundancy

(7 Posts)
kickingking Sat 28-May-11 09:24:45

Sorry, I think this is going to be long.

I'm a teacher. I started working in almost two years ago at a school which had recently gone into an Ofsted category. I was employed as p/t PPA cover. I didn't have much support - was messed about with my timetable quite a bit over that year and observed internally, and told my planning was not good enough when I was actually using the class teachers plans.

I was ordered- asked to do a class share this year. I asked for a new contract to represent my new job description and was told I didn't need one. The class share has not gone particularly well, I get on OK with the other teacher, but we are constantly told what we are doing is not good enough, although when we have been observed by external visitors we have come out OK. At one point, capability was hinted at to both of us.

I've now been told I will be back doing cover next year, and a member of senior staff who is non-class based will be doing the class share. However, I know that the school have too many teachers next year (due to falling roll), and I am convinced that when another teacher comes back from maternity leave, she will be put into the class share, the member of senior staff will come back out of the class and be able to do cover - and I will be made redundant/forced out on capabilty.

This is all speculation on my part, but I can see no other reason to move staff around in this way. I have no idea what to do to protect myself. Where do I start? Union? HR?

This is additionally complicated by the fact that I am/was intending to become pregnant soon - would I actually be better protected if I was pregnant or on maternity leave or would I be making myself more vulnerable?

StillSquiffy Sat 28-May-11 12:44:22

What have you done to address their concerns regarding your capability? How have you tried to improve your performance? You'll need evidence of that for a start if you think they are going down the capability route.

kickingking Sat 28-May-11 13:21:57

I have acted on every piece of advice I have been given. My gradings in formal lesson observations have improved over the year. The children in my/our class have made measurable progress this year. I am not sure what other evidence I could provide?

LaurieFairyCake Sat 28-May-11 14:14:37

Have you had any unsatisfactory ofsted observations?

StillSquiffy Sat 28-May-11 16:50:04

That's all good, so they will struggle to justify capability.

Looking back over your mail, it sounds like you and the school agree that the class share didn't work well, so the shifting you back to the old job would therefore make sense, and may not be indicative of anything sinister. If you think you are being primed for redundancy the best thing you can do is simply work your best so that you aren't the first name that springs to mind for them. TBH I am not sure what you would expect a union or HR to do?

In terms of being PG, that will for sure protect you more, as they will be keen to do things by the book with you. You only get additional S10 protection if you are actually on maternity leave at the time of the redundancies, but just being pregnant (usually) makes everyone more careful about handling any potential redundancy situation, so that helps too.

kickingking Sat 28-May-11 18:31:26

Laurie, I have HMI/Ofsted said my observation was satisfactory. I have been observed by the head a few times, and told unsatisfactory. My last two internal observations were satisfactory.

StillSquiffy, I don't know what I would expect a union or HR to do either, as nothing's actually happened! It's just with the current horribleclimate at schhol and knowing we have 'too many teachers' I feel vulnerable.

EvilTwins Sat 28-May-11 18:35:02

Get in touch with your union, and explain the issue exactly as you have here - you will find people far more qualified to help and give advice about how you should go forward.

How long have you been teaching? I know you said you started at this school 2 years ago, but you don't say if it was your first job.

Which union are you a member of? No point going to HR at the moment. Do you have a colleague you trust to discuss the issue? Just to make you feel a bit better, perhaps - I agree it's all speculation, but your union rep/county secretary could run you through potential scenarios and choices you may have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now