Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working

(4 Posts)
GeraldineAubergine Fri 27-May-11 19:34:53

hi, I currently work part time and have set hours Monday, tues, weds 8.30-5 plus one weekend per month. I started this working pattern after I returned from mat leave and it was granted on a permanent basis and hr amended my contract. My department now says it will review flexible working every six months and agree or decline accordingly. My question is, can they do this and will it affect me? I am worried as my manager has said too many people have flexible patterns and wants to stop this. Senior members of staff also feel that those with families 'chose' to have kids and so should deal with it without special treatment. Sorry for rambling and thanks in advance.

flowery Fri 27-May-11 19:43:31

No they can't do that. Once a flexible working request is agreed those hours are permanent and it's no easier for the employer to change them than it would be for them to change a full time person's hours, i.e very tricky. If the company can't manage the number of flexible working arrangements it's agreed then it shouldn't have agreed them in the first place, it can't just take them away again.

GeraldineAubergine Fri 27-May-11 19:52:56

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have really been worried about this as in effect I wouldn't be able to work there any more as I also use the staff childcare and my hours reflect their opening patterns.

said Fri 27-May-11 21:34:53

Can I hijack this a bit - what if the employer states that the contract is subject to review every year? Will that provide a get-out clause if they wanted to refuse your arrangement?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: