Advanced search

Returning to work - wanted to leave - will I get any benefits?

(16 Posts)
tonksy83 Thu 05-May-11 10:34:27

Hello, thank you for reading...hopefully you can help. I currently work in a stressfull civil servant job, which I have every hope to returned too - however - if I decide that being a full time working mum, once the baby is born isnt working for me, am I entitiled to benefits if I leave? I will be returning to work, to give it my best shot, as I love my job.

I am going to be a single mum from he word go, so I cant do it without any help. I just wondered if anyone has been or is in the same boat?

Hope someone knows more than me.....

Thank you

Grevling Thu 05-May-11 22:08:17

flowery Fri 06-May-11 10:37:41

If you've got a perfectly good job and you decide to leave because you prefer not to work, or prefer to try and find something part time, I imagine it's unlikely you'd get much in the way of benefits to support your decision. But I'm not an expert in the benefits system at all so check entitledto as Grevling suggested and see what it comes up with.

Have you explored going part time in your current job?

tonksy83 Fri 06-May-11 13:28:44

Thank you for your help...

I currently live 350 miles away from my close the father of the child has decided he wants nothing to do with us, I am thinking of moving to be closer to my family. Unfortuantly in my line of work a transfer isnt an option. So I either stick to a well paid job, but be miles away from support, or i be nearer my family, and seeking work - the inbetween part is where i would need help. As the plan stands at the moment, I will remain here, and get help from friends - but its my family I need, and I am worrying I will be unable to cope.

I will check out


MovingAndScared Fri 06-May-11 14:18:48

If you have not had the baby yet - it a possiblity of moving while on maternity leave? Or possibly being made redudant? Lone parents area on here might be v helpful - but I would say if you resign from a job getting benifts is more tricky - however part time as a single parent can work out well in terms of benifits

tonksy83 Sat 07-May-11 16:40:41

Thank you movingandscared. I do hope to work part time and I hear there are great benefits for those mums who do. I havent had the baby yet no, and due to the circumstances my family want me to move - however I am worried about being able to afford a baby as a single parent.
I am going to go to citizens advice on tuesday - and see what options I have.

Thans again.

LadyLapsang Sat 07-May-11 17:06:37

Think very carefully before resigning from a Civil Service job in the current climate. Suggest you contact your staff welfare as they may be able to help you if you don't think you will be able to cope.

Regarding benefits, if you make yourself unemployed, that your case will be referred to a Decision Maker, to decide whether you should be entitled to JSA - however, much better to return to the Civil Service and request to adjust your hours. What about the baby's father, and his contribution to paying for the baby?

If you claim income support as a lone parent it's means tested so will take in to account any savings / income & money from your ex partner; also they will expect you to start pursuing the father for money to bring up the baby (as, of course, he should pay as the father). Used to be that lone parents didn't have to make themselves available for work for years but all that has changed now, so probably best just to return to work.

MovingAndScared Sun 08-May-11 10:00:23

I can see both sides - is there any way they could come down to where you are - for a fews days at a time when the baby is tiny - or you could go and stay with them maybe for a bit - and then return to work part time - also work on your support network eg other parents - NCT classes maybe - lone parents here etc, look at childcare options now - don't forget about childminders -

Marlinspike Sun 08-May-11 10:06:28

If you are on maternity leave at present and have benefitted from enhanced maternity pay (ie over and above the statutory) you may find that your contract stipulates that you must pay all or some of this back if you do not return to work. For example, teachers get half pay for some of their maternity leave, but must return for at least 13 weeks otherwise they are liable to repay this. I would check with your HR department before making any costly decisions.

tonksy83 Sun 08-May-11 19:45:18

I have to return for 4 weeks...if I take maternity pay. I have spoken to HR about this. Obviously if i leave work after this time, I will have to seek part time work where I am moving - therfore I am worried I will not have enough money to get by.

Thank you for you help marlinspike

onadietcokebreak Tue 10-May-11 13:47:27

You need to return to work for 1 calendar month (based on returning to work on Full time hours) in most civil servant jobs.

Why not request a Carers break (up to 5 years)?. If you dont return you will have to repay the employer maternity pay top up.

You can claim Income Support without being sanctioned until child starts school. Then you may be very grateful for the part time / part year opportunities that being a civil servant brings. You may even be able to transfer to an office to be closer to family.

I hated my CS job but even I havent resigned- just worked at plan B whilst on a break!

Ps The previous benefits advice you have been given is wrong. Maintenance is no longer taken into account when calculating Income Support/ JSA or housing benefit. Youngest age of child is 7 now although likely to change at some point to age 5.

tonksy83 Wed 11-May-11 17:57:45

Onadietcokebreak - you info has been amazing thank you.

So if I choose to either leave, or take a break I will still be able to claim income support?

I have been told I am not able to have a I had 12mths off with a serious injury - using all my sick. Therefore another boss wouldnt touch me until I had proved I was able to work...this pregnacy was a suprise, so I didnt have chance before finding out!

I have a lot to think about and consider, I just want what is best fro my baby. I would like to be able to provide a good any mother.

Anyway thank you again for you help.

Tonksy x

onadietcokebreak Wed 11-May-11 19:43:41

Yes that's right about income support. Also I would be tempted to return at end of maternity period and use your accured leave to serve part if notice period- then return fir remainder( prob be a week)

Could your mum visit and do childcare for that week? Then carers break after.

No sure that's entirely true about transfer though.....

onadietcokebreak Wed 11-May-11 20:09:47

Also join the union and speak to them about transfer. If you are on unpaid mat leave/carers break you can remain in union without paying subs. Would that period of sickness have left your rolling sick record by the time you wanted to transfer?

You could also look at other governments departments to transfer to.

tonksy83 Fri 03-Jun-11 13:46:29


I just wanted to let you know how I got on...and your advice was great.
I have been told I will be able to transfer, once the baby os born, by applying again for a compassionate transfer. Its not definate, but its likely and my boss said he will back me will my union.


allthefires Fri 03-Jun-11 13:47:31

Excellent news. Glad it has worked out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: