Talk

Advanced search

How do I find out which sectors are expanding in the UK?

(29 Posts)
Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 13:04:09

My sector is contracting at a frightening rate of knots, and as I have a spare bit of cash at the moment I think that it might be prudent to retrain. Is there somewhere I can go to for advice on the sectors which are expanding and actively recruiting in the UK - or am I being overly optimistic?!

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 16:28:40

what is your sector?
some of your skills are I am sure transferable

Bramshott Fri 21-Jan-11 16:32:48

There have been a few stories in the press about this sort of thing recently, and I'm sure you could find more if you tried.

Green energy / solar panel companies are doing very well now with the feed in tarrifs.

Companies making products for the elderly also a growth area with an ageing population.

And of course the jobcentre sad

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 16:43:44

"software as service" kind of companies are growing too

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 17:54:06

My sector is NHS information services as a manager and website design/maintenance as freelance. I do 'a bit' of lots of things so plenty of transferable skills on paper, but in reality employers understandably want a higher level than a 'bit of'. What is "software as service"? I suppose I was naively hoping for a website with a great big flashing neon sign on it saying "Maisie, these sectors will snap you up if you retrain in X...." grin

brimfull Fri 21-Jan-11 18:06:11

Community care in the home will be huge, tis already large but will only get bigger with more and more private companies getting involved.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 18:14:06

I wondered about that ggirl - my current contract is developing information services for that sector, and I can see it becoming huge. Nursing then, perhaps?

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 18:28:05

"software as service" is a compoany which gets to provide services other companies outsource by running it for them

simple is say your pension can be administered by a different company from that which invests on your behalf

If I were you I'd write CV and start applying for jobs - see what response you get

I think if you go on
[www.reed.co.uk] you will get some idea what's market for your skills like

do you have Prince or some other qualifications?

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 18:31:16

software as service

reed.co.uk

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 18:33:23

surely NHS will be in the future needing managers for IT projects

have you looked into degree/masters/prof courses which may enhance what you already know?

brimfull Fri 21-Jan-11 19:14:17

god no,

££ shite in nursing

brimfull Fri 21-Jan-11 19:15:55

god no,

££ shite in nursing, I am one

Any private co. managing carers/nurses will be the earners

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 19:17:19

I'm not really IT - more front end ie delivering information services. I think I may have to look at some sort of formal IT qualification though, but I have to admit I don't really know too much about the various IT roles. Definitely need to do a bit more research...

Thanks for the links smile

kayah Fri 21-Jan-11 19:24:45

Informations services - you are closer to IT than most
I am looking for job in IT now so been looking at various sites

I think tou ought to rewrite your CV and apply for jobs, even if for experience of seeing what it's like out there

qualification's won't give you much unless syou have experience

you can manage project on front end
have you thought of looking int Business Analyst roles?

most of all - many roles are avaialble in big cities not to mention London & SE

wherabouts are you based?

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 19:24:58

But don't you need to have a nursing background in order to manage a care home effectively?

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 19:28:10

In Edinburgh

brimfull Fri 21-Jan-11 19:35:05

well not really but there are going to be loads of agencies running care at home ,social services can't cope atm and good rpivate agencies are sooo busy

I know that hospitals are desperate as the increasingly ageiing population are blocking vital beds waiting for packages of care to be set up at home.

brimfull Fri 21-Jan-11 19:37:17

just had a thought
occupational therapists will be in demand even more to cope with patients cating for themselves at home
they need to assess and help set up packages of care

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 20:10:55

Oooh, now there's an idea ggirl...occupational therapist. I like the sound of that! Off to check that out now, thanks smile

QueenofWhatever Fri 21-Jan-11 20:17:35

Telehealth - health care knowledge and information management. These companies need help getting Mrs Smith's blood pressure read and interpreted by a GP or community matron every morning for example. This is where the investment is currently going and it is very underdeveloped.

Managing a care home is a horrible job and not well paid at all. But care at home is an expanding sector. Start looking at Healthcare at Home, Clinovia, Bupa and United Healthcare.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 21-Jan-11 20:23:24

That's an excellent idea, thanks Queen. Will check that out as well...smile

PercyPigPie Tue 01-Feb-11 21:56:52

Can you do whatever it is you already do, from home, undercutting your employers and those like them?

Junne Wed 02-Feb-11 10:38:21

I work from home doing sales/business development for an IT consultancy, I agree that going in as an 'independent' is a good idea in this market. Small/medium companies may not be able to afford a full time employee, but still need targetted services. i know others who 'run' marketing a few days a month (or more) for companies, just to keep them ticking over. It can apply to other skills too. Downside is that u r at home and miss out on the comaraderie aspect, but gain from no commute and I still see a lot of my son as grandma looks after him at home.

suzecat Thu 03-Mar-11 13:28:12

I have recently qualified as an occupational therapist....
Have had almost a year off maternity.
I am finding it very difficult to find a job. There are a lot of job cuts. in my area (Sheffield) There has not been a single job advertised in the last year and a half.
I have spend a fortune and a lot of sweat retraining.
Hopefully it will change!

suzecat Thu 03-Mar-11 13:29:16

Luckily I have another career to fall back on and I'm going to try and set up something working from home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now