Talk

Advanced search

Part-time Contract but working full-time hours as covering another part-time post

(2 Posts)
tamegazelle Sat 15-Jan-11 17:08:23

Just over two years ago I applied for a job. There were a number of part-time posts and successful applicants could take one .5 post or two posts if they wanted to work full-time. I work in a large public sector organisation.

I took one part-time job, but a year later was asked to cover another post (ie one of those originally advertised) so became full-time. When I accepted this arrangement, I made it clear that I wanted a contract for the post I was covering (even if it was only for a fixed period). In the meantime, I had to claim the salary for the post by filling in a timesheet.

The Service Manager did not respond to my request (yet he was the person who had ased me to cover the post) despite repeated E Mails. Abouit 6 months ago, I went to HR and wrote a letter of complaint stating that
due to the lack of contract, I had not received payment for Bank Holidays that took place during the working hours of the additional post, had not received a leave allowance and had would not receive any pension payments.

The Service Manager responded by paying me an 'acting up allowance' - this was a one off payment which he said was more than equal to te value of the Bank Holidays I had lost. He also undertook to advertise the post that I'm covering internally. Unfortunately, he did not do this and I am still in the same position. I should add that part of the problem is that the person concerns fails to reply to any E mails abojut anything!

My substantive post is fixed term and I would like to pursue the issue of the other post before my contract expires.

The points that I want to pusue are as follows:

The employees who took the two part-time jobs to become full-time, were given contracts which gave them a full-time leave allowance. It was therefore perverse not to give me a contract when I took on the additional post or to advertise the post as previously promised.

When I was awarded the acting up allowance, they should have explained in detail what this covered.

I have lost out on leave, pension etc due to this arrangement and as a part-time employee have been treated less favourably than full-time employees doing the same job.

Just wondered what the HR people amongst you thought of this? - I think that I have nothing to lose by pursuing this - but wondered how successful i'm likely to be?

CarGirl Sat 15-Jan-11 17:11:08

You need an expert, flowery is one of them.

Have you joined the union? I would recommend that you do so!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: