Talk

Advanced search

Another issue.... again

(9 Posts)
jaabaar Sun 09-Jan-11 20:34:13

Hi,

Sorry it is me again with my endless work issues...

Question:
If a company gives additional holidays for length of employement (e.g. 1 day additional up to a max of 30 days) should this be applied to all employees of the company or can it be applied just to some?

thanks... again.

hairyfairylights Sun 09-Jan-11 21:18:53

Unless it's discretionary or related to grade I'd hve said should be everyone. What do policy and contracts say?

louvert Sun 09-Jan-11 21:23:26

It's quite possible that it could just be applied to some; just as people have different rates of pay, people have different other benefits too.

Having said that, it would be a bit peculiar if people who were on the same grade / same job were being treated differently.

Contracts / Staff Handbook would be the best place to start looking at what's going on if there's something seemingly odd.

flowery Sun 09-Jan-11 21:25:27

It depends what the reason is for doing so.

Your question sounds a bit hypothetical, can you be more direct? I assume you are not benefiting from this? Do you know why? Is there a group who do or don't get this benefit and if so, what are their characteristics?

jaabaar Sun 09-Jan-11 21:31:38

We do not have any policies or books or anything to go by. Contract says 20 days holiday.

I am taking over my bosses job who is retiring. He had more holiday entitlement, more pay etc.

Me by taking it over I got 0.05 % wage increase. and THAT increase was given to just cover themselves legally that they dindnt overlook me with wage increase during ML.

As I have so many issues with my company I have become oversensitive... which is my fault really.

I think that different level personnel probably do get different benefits which includes holiday and travel.

flowery Sun 09-Jan-11 21:44:23

So you are not getting the same pay and holiday as the previous encumbent got?

Your company has no policies?? Is it very small then? Presumably nothing in terms of salary structure or anything similar?

Why are you being paid less than the previous encumbent? I mean what reason have they given you?

hairyfairylights Sun 09-Jan-11 22:31:05

I am guessing you are paid less and getting fewer holidays on the scale as you have less experience? We do this in our place salaries wise but the leave policy is the same for everyone.

Is this a small family business by any chance?

Is it twenty days as standard plus bank hols?

jaabaar Mon 10-Jan-11 07:18:11

It is a big company. Headquarters are in a different country. We are the buying office in the UK.

When it comes to discuss salaries you are told the company is doing very badly.

On the other hand the company is doing very well when it comes to how much more work you get. I was told at meeting that orders have doubled and higher.

Basically it is just a stingy company. I know exactly how much the profits are as I prepare the figures?????

Of course I am not expecting the same salary as my boss.

However when you get a new position including taking on much more responsibility and overlooking/mentoring four employees (e.g. "promotion") I think the salaray should reflect as well this "promotion".

Twenty days standard yes, plus bank holidays.

One more point: Before ML I was starting work at 8.45 (instead of 9.30, about 1.45 minutes free overtime I was working) because I had so much work. Bosses very much "Encouraged" this.

When I requestested compressed hours, to actually start my paid work at 8.45 it was refused as it was unpractical.

These are the kind of "policies" of my company.....

hairyfairylights Mon 10-Jan-11 19:06:43

I'm confused. You willingly worked longer hours, but they 'refused' to let you cut them to contract? they are actually unable to refuse to cut them to contract confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now