Talk

Advanced search

is there any way to begin maternity leave before 29 weeks without a sick note?

(3 Posts)
BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 07-Jan-11 15:52:16

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with DC2. My sickness record for the past few years has been horrendous, and I've been warned that taking any more sick leave will really be detrimental to my career. I know that pregnancy-related illness isn't suppose to count in the same way as sick leave, but from past experience such a distinction has never been made, as it's obvious that I've gone into my pregnancies knowing how ill I might become. So if I can at all avoid it, I'd prefer not to leave early on sick leave.

Equally, though, I'm increasingly unsure of my capacity to cope until 29 weeks. It's an entirely sedentery job that could almost entirely be done from home with the hours worked almost entirely flexibly, so there's not much that could be done to make it any easier, either.

Is there any way, other than by getting a sick note, that a person can begin maternity leave before 29 weeks?

ANTagony Fri 07-Jan-11 15:56:39

Could you use up your holiday/ annual leave to start earlier?

Alternatively, although unpaid, if you have other DC already could you request parental leave.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 07-Jan-11 16:03:03

I've already exhausted my holiday.... ut parental leave [lightbulb emoticon]! Gooooood idea... thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: