Talk

Advanced search

Self-employed, do I get any help towards nursery costs?

(3 Posts)
IguanoMum Thu 06-Jan-11 15:00:08

Hi all, I need to go back to work, but in order to do so, I would have to send DD to nursery. I have heard that if both DP and I are working, we can get up help with up to 80% of the nursery costs. Do you know if this is valid ok for those of us who are self-employed?

Lizcat Thu 06-Jan-11 16:47:29

I only know the answer relating to salary sacrifice as I questioned this with my MP who then put a question at Prime ministers Question time and the answer was no you can not do this as a self employed person as you get too many other perks!!!!
As far as work tax credits etc are concerned I am sure someone more knowledgable will come along.

DurhamDurham Thu 06-Jan-11 16:57:01

You could get help through Tax Credits but it would depend on your husband's and your own comnbined income. It's a sliding scale. If you undersestimate your income from being self emplyed you may have to pay back any Tax Credit overpayment the following year. Most couples I help with benefits don't get any help with nursery fees as their combined incomes take them over the threshold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now