Talk

Advanced search

Info needed; if you resign does the company still pay earned but unpaid commission ?

(3 Posts)
ZombiePlanB Mon 03-Jan-11 21:21:53

Not for me, but for a friend (no, really) in Sales.

She wants to resign and go for a new job, and is due 4k in commission. If she resigns before the money is paid, will her company still pay it once she's handed in her notice?

I think they won't, but I work in an industry with bonuses rather than commission.

Any experience welcome.

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 03-Jan-11 21:30:55

I work in sales. It depends on the company really. In my experience (of working for big corporates) they will pay commission owed after you've left/resigned. If this happens though you should advise your friend to check her tax has been correctly paid. This happened to me when I moved jobs and my old company inadvertently taxed me at the wrong rate so I ended up owing HMRC quite a bit at the end of the tax year.

I have friends who've worked for small, independent companies where commission owed hasn't been paid although, to be blunt, they've often had trouble being paid for sales made when they're still employed...

StillSquiffy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:17:45

It should be set out in either her employmnet contract or offer of employment letter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: