Talk

Advanced search

Childcare vouchers and temporary employment

(4 Posts)
juniorcommonroom Mon 20-Dec-10 14:41:58

Hello,
I'm about to begin a fixed term contract and have asked my employer about access to the childcare voucher scheme.

I have been told that this is a benefit only available to permanent employees due to the administration fee involved. As far as I know - I've done a small amount of reading - the employer should save a little in NI even after the administration fee has been paid. Is this correct?

In my sector so much work is on a temporary basis that I've made a point of knowing my rights - I was under the impression that temporary workers have the right to the same or equivalent benefits package to a permanent employee in the same role. Would this apply to the childcare voucher situation?

I'd appreciate some advice from those who've perhaps been in a similar situation or have HR experience. I don't want to alienate my new employers before I've even started the position but was kind of relying on the vouchers!

Thanks in advance.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 20-Dec-10 21:04:39

Would you be entitled to mat pay or a pension scheme? If not then you won't be entitled to childcare vouchers either.

juniorcommonroom Mon 20-Dec-10 21:50:35

Thanks for your reply Princess.

Could you clarify why the mat pay and pension is relevant? The contract is for 1 year. As I understand it, I would be entitled to SMP as Iong as I work there for the minimum time (26 weeks?) before getting pregnant. The company does not offer an enhanced maternity package to any employee, let alone a temporary one.

I wouldn't not be eligible for a pension as a minimum of 2 years service is required but I understood this to be an exception to the rule.

I have actually worked for this company before in another short term contract and was entitled to various 'lifestyle' benefits like a health care plan and season ticket loan so I assumed childcare vouchers would fall into this category and cannot see why they would be included.

Still unsure...

juniorcommonroom Mon 20-Dec-10 21:52:12

wouldn't be included

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: