Talk

Advanced search

can I go back to work?

(7 Posts)
Chocolocolate Sat 18-Dec-10 00:00:27

I had surgery on Friday that means that for three weeks I cannot lift anything or walk long distances etc. I have internal stitches so must be careful.

The doctor signed me off for 3 weeks.

I was very sore at the beginning of the week but now feel fine.

I am bored at home and I am having to fight the urge to clean (I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavy)

My job is very very inactive - I sit at a desk all day.

If I was at work I would be doing less strenuous activity than I would be at home and I would not be bored and lonely.

Would I be allowed to go back to work next week even though I have been given a sick note that lasts until the 1st of January?

Is it worth asking, or do you think that work will just say no?

canyou Sat 18-Dec-10 00:11:05

If you have a Dr's cert most companies say no, you may not be covered by insurance if a new risk assessment is not done etc

WestVirginia Sat 18-Dec-10 07:05:12

What Insurance?

Eliza70 Sat 18-Dec-10 09:10:47

Presumably employers liability insurance, so if somethi g did happen the OP, eg she picked up a box if paper and caused an injury to herself then the employer would be at fault as they had let her return to work against medical advice.

PurpleKate Sat 18-Dec-10 09:44:14

Go back to your doctor and as him/her to give you a fitness for work certficate (I think that what its called) - it should specify what kind of duties you can do.

gregssausageroll Sat 18-Dec-10 13:08:54

I agree with purple. You need a certificate to take you off sick leave.

fitflopqueen Sun 19-Dec-10 18:41:00

check with your employer, I work for a very large company which self insures so staff return to work when they feel fit enough to do their job. Just ring your boss and check, you could probably do a couple of half days to ease you back in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: