Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about maternity leave and annual leave

(8 Posts)
LunaticFringe Thu 09-Dec-10 20:53:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

milly44 Thu 09-Dec-10 21:08:24

In our company you can't carry over any unused holiday. However as you accrue paid holiday during maternity leave you can take it all off before you go as an option. However I think you will find if you go sick for a maternity related illness in later pregnancy (not sure which week) employer can insist your maternity starts then.

LunaticFringe Thu 09-Dec-10 21:15:31

milly44 Thu 09-Dec-10 21:37:09

Ooohhh. Tricky

hairyfairylights Thu 09-Dec-10 21:46:45

I think Ribena berry will be able to answer this well...

But from memory you do accrue annual leave whilst on maternity leave, as you have no way of taking it when you are on ML.

I'm geussing their argument will be that if you have a Jan to Jan or a March - April annual leave year, you hve had ample chance to take some leave already up til now, but have chosen not to so can't carry over leave accrued before Maternity Leave.

RibenaBerry Thu 09-Dec-10 21:48:15

The legal position is a bit unclear, but I'd argue that they shouldn't be applying the normal rules to your situation.

I'd go into your manager and get them to talk to HR. Explain they're putting you in an awkward position to do the best handover possible and you'd really like them to help persuade HR to waive the rules this once.

FWIW, companies I know have waived the normal rules in this type of scenario.

I hope all goes well for you.

LunaticFringe Thu 09-Dec-10 21:58:41

hairyfairylights Thu 09-Dec-10 22:05:34

Lunatic. Well if I were your boss and as RibenaBerry has said, I'd be exercising my discretion, especially as you have worked so hard during your pregnancy and made the effort to come back after being sick, to hand over.

Wishing you all the very best with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: