Talk

Advanced search

Have job interview next week, would you ask to delay start?

(8 Posts)
nymphadora Mon 06-Dec-10 10:10:00

I'm on maternity leave, don't want to return to my old job although I will if I get nothing else. It is also at risk hence me applying for jobs earlier than I'd like.

It's an internal job in a different field and often these jobs only have a couple of applicant so easier to get.

I will need CRB then a months notice which would delay the start but dd3 is only 8 weeks now so I'd like a bit longer (+ I have had all my leave for the year so nearer to April I leave my current job the better!).

Should I approach this at interview? Others in my dept started on half hours when returning from mat leave into a new role & could do that. Job in near home so will be easier for feeding/expressing/seeing dd3 at lunchtime. So going back early will be easier in this role than my own.

Other issue is I'm doing a KIT day in my current job next week as I'm attending a meeting re restructure.should I still go?

HappyAsASandboy Mon 06-Dec-10 10:19:20

I wouldn't raise the issue, but if they ask when you're available, then don't lie. You can then negotiate a start date once they offer you the role.

I would still do the KIT day. I wouldn't mention the new job unless you have been offered it, agreed a start date and signed a contract. Until you have actually signed a contract, your intention is still to return to your current job until you have finalised a new one.

If you have accepted a new job and signed a contract with the new job before the KIT day, then I'd ask current job whether they'd like you to work the KIT. They might want you to discuss hand over/leaveing dates etc on a KIT day.

Good luck with your interview grin

nymphadora Mon 06-Dec-10 10:54:58

My job is moving & potential of redundancy so handover isn't an issue. Only reason I'm doing KIT now is because of that

nymphadora Mon 06-Dec-10 12:56:37

Will they know im on mat leave?

nymphadora Mon 06-Dec-10 19:04:57

Bump

HappyAsASandboy Tue 07-Dec-10 14:27:32

If it is an internal job, then it is possible they will have heard through the grapevine that you're on mat leave. Or they may have checked a reference and be told by your current boss?

AFAIK there is no way to find out your on leave except through your current employers.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 07-Dec-10 14:29:02

Of course if their opening question at interview is 'tell us what you're working on now', the mat leave has to come into conversation!

nymphadora Wed 08-Dec-10 12:38:52

The info says references will be requested after interview & the depts don't link up so doubt they will know without me saying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now