Talk

Advanced search

Extension of career break

(4 Posts)
solo Mon 06-Dec-10 00:39:59

I have to write to work to try for an extension of my career break and wondered if anyone in the know can tell me if this sounds ok please?
Background/reason...
The bottom line for me is that I can't afford the childcare that would be needed for the hours needed and I'd be needing a minder from 5.30am and sometimes I wouldn't be collecting until 10pm. Dd is only in nursery for less than 3 hours a day. I'd also be working alternate weekends.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am writing to request a further extension on my career break from XXXXX(job)XXXXX for the following reasons:

I am a single parent to two dependant children; my Son does not have any contact with his father and my Daughter's father works abroad, so I don't have any practical support from them.

My youngest child is not yet in full time education and I have been unsuccessful in finding suitable childcare for her and my eldest child, which will cover the hours necessary, including the unsocial aspect at a cost that would make returning to work at this time financially viable for me.

My Mother was widowed last summer, has suffered ill health since then and has become quite reliant on me for some of her day to day living requirements.

I am hopeful that you will grant me another year of unpaid leave, so that I will have my youngest child in full time education when I do return to the workplace.

Thank you for your kind attention

Yours sincerely

solo.

Thoughts please?

solo Mon 06-Dec-10 10:00:35

Anyone?

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Dec-10 10:32:07

My first thoughts are that you are giving too much personal information, and also that a lot of the problems you have with childcare (expensive, inflexible) at the moment aren't going to go away if one of your DS is in school.

Have you actually discussed this with your line manager yet?

solo Mon 06-Dec-10 10:50:47

Hi flowerybeanbag and thanks for answering.

With my work, they usually ask for reasons why for everything to 'build a case' so it is usual to give as much information as possible.

The other point is that when Dd is in full time ed, she can attend breakfast and after school clubs and my Ds will be 13 and should be able to drop her off and pick her up, taking her to my Mothers by buses if I'm on late shift or take her home if I'm finishing at a more normal time. This would be far less expensive than child minders.

I don't have a line manager at this point as we are shifted around every few years and I effectively have no department, therefore no line manager. Complicated isn't it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: