Talk

Advanced search

Going for a new job - number of sick days

(5 Posts)
LittleMissWorryHead Sat 04-Dec-10 19:03:38

Hi all, I am hoping that someone might be able to help. I have had a difficult time lately and have just returned to work after having some time off due to depression.

I am now on anti-depressants and seem to be better and coping with things alot better.

My current work have not be terribly sympathetic, especially when it came to be asking what the liklihood of me being able to cut my hours down a bit would be.

So now, I have seen a new job, less hours, same yearly rate (which would mean a pay cut, but would also mean I could be there for my kids more)

But I am worried, do I need to inform them that I am on anti-d's? Also, there is no question on my form about sick days I have taken in the last 12 months, but am assuming that would be included in my reference (which I wouldn't want them to ask for unless I was offered the job) would they then un-offer me the job?! Or would it just need me to explain the situation?

I think I have a pretty good chance of getting this job, and a change is needed, so all help would be appreciated!

PurpleKate Sat 04-Dec-10 19:22:54

I had periods of depression on and off for years and been on anti-d's. I have never had to supply information about my illness when applying for a job. And its never stopped me getting one!

HTH and go for it.

PowderMum Sat 04-Dec-10 21:23:12

Hi. The law has just changed at they should not be asking about your health on the application form or at interview

flowerybeanbag Sat 04-Dec-10 21:29:48

That's right they can't (in most cases) ask for health information when you apply for the job but yes it is likely to come out in a reference.

How much time off was it? Your new employer may want some reassurance that things have improved, which they have, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Apply for the job. If you get offered it, your ex employer may be asked to disclose the number of days you've had off. If it's excessive, the new employer will probably want to discuss it with you but that's all a long way down the line.

LittleMissWorryHead Sun 05-Dec-10 09:48:11

Thanks all. It was 6 weeks off, I just went back this week. I think I am going to go for it and see how it goes (although a big part of me thinks its not the right time.....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now