Talk

Advanced search

Is asking for unpaid leave to care for a child considered ok or is it better to finish up my annual leave first?

(8 Posts)
crisistocrisis Tue 30-Nov-10 20:18:54

2yo DD is going to be off sick from nursery until Friday (they have a 48hr exclusion policy when ill). Mum always looks after the dc's if they are ill but this week mum is caring for her stepmum who has only got a couple of weeks left to live sad.

I am meant to be at work tomorrow and Thursday and only have 2 days annual leave left until April - which I was keeping for snow days, DS's allergy hospital apts.

Would it be acceptable to ask my boss for unpaid leave Weds / Thursday? Or is it better to kiss my annual leave goodbye and ask for unpaid leave when the next crisis happens?

crisistocrisis Tue 30-Nov-10 20:40:31

bump?

SylvanianFamily Tue 30-Nov-10 20:45:02

Do you have the kind of job where you can do day in lieu?

It's maybe different for me, as I worked part time, but when we were hit with the dreaded chicken pox quarantine, I agreed to work extra days in the following wks to make up.

marriednotdead Tue 30-Nov-10 20:45:53

I'd be upfront about the situation and ask for the time off unpaid.

It would be awkward if you used your leave and then were refused any later days unpaid. Best to find out how they will respond from now IMO.

ceebeegeebies Tue 30-Nov-10 20:48:24

I would say it depends on your company and if they have any policies in place about this.

Where I work, you would be expected to use your annual leave up first and only after that had all gone, would unpaid leave be considered.

crisistocrisis Tue 30-Nov-10 21:03:39

Thanks all.

My company does pride itself (and the job was advertised) with a family friendly policy so I'm hoping they will be ok with unpaid leave. <<crosses fingers>>

I might be able to make the days up in a couple of weeks (next week is already scheduled up to the eyeballs), but that depends on mum being free to look after the dc's on a non-nursery day. I think nursery are full up every day so I'm not sure I can get an extra day for them.

hairyfairylights Tue 30-Nov-10 21:32:59

I'd ask for unpaid leave or compassionate leave.

fedupwithdeployment Tue 30-Nov-10 22:01:37

Agree with others. I asked for a week's unpaid leave (parental) this year before I'd actually taken any holiday. Sounds daft, but DH is in the forces and was due to be away for most of the year, and I knew I'd run out. Had no issues at all - although people do jokingly ask if I'm ever in the office!

NB It won't be parental leave you are after as you have to have blocks of one week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now