Talk

Advanced search

On maternity leave & work reorganising again.

(11 Posts)
nymphadora Sun 28-Nov-10 17:00:03

I currently work in a different area to where I live. This is deliberate as I don't want to meet my (volatile) clients & them know my family/where I live (small town)

Through the reshuffle my area is getting split and I will be covering my town. Is there any thing I can do about it?

I'm hoping not to go back & am applying for other work.
I also haven't had any official approach on this and heard bits on the grapevine despite voluntary redundancies already starting. So how much info should I be getting ?

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 19:00:21

If you are being moved as part of restructuring can you argue that it is not a suitable alternative, given that you chose to work away from your home turf and wish to continue to do so?

I'm not HR though, hopefully Flowery will be along soon

nymphadora Sun 28-Nov-10 19:01:06

That's what I'm hoping. It's public sector though so jobs are thin on the ground.

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 19:10:08

Can you suggest it from a health and safety POV maybe? Or at least ask for a risk assessment, is there a history of staff getting abuse/harassment outside of work?

nymphadora Sun 28-Nov-10 19:12:37

Lots of people live in their own area. I had a dodgy experience in my last job & am much more cautious about it

flowerybeanbag Sun 28-Nov-10 19:40:22

I think you would struggle to argue that a position in your local area is not suitable, because of a dodgy experience in your last job tbh. You can and should raise your concerns but in the event where jobs are thin on the ground, their method of addressing those concerns is unlikely to be finding you a different job.

In terms of information, you should be getting what everyone else is getting, so if you're not, contact your union rep.

eviscerateyourmemory Sun 28-Nov-10 19:44:49

If your colleagues live in the area that they work in then you will probably struggle to argue that you couldnt.

Is there anyone that you could swap areas with?

nymphadora Sun 28-Nov-10 19:54:16

With the redrawing of boundaries (again) the next nearest area boundary is an hour away & working up to 1 1/2 past that!

Union v difficult to deal with as they are tied up with job re evaluation appeals (practically whole of county employees!!!) and we've been told (indirectly in my case) that we can't all have support for that.

nymphadora Sun 28-Nov-10 19:56:45

Thought it was a bit iffy tbh but will hope for alternative job

Will try my boss tomorrow for info. County people keep saying look on intranet but can't cos I'm not at work confused

nymphadora Mon 29-Nov-10 12:20:33

Spike to boss. First stage (reallocation of geographical areas ) by march so returning in April I'll miss that but allocation of jobs by august takes me into unpaid leave which I can't really afford

nymphadora Tue 30-Nov-10 12:12:30

My role is being merged with two others what rights do I have there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now