Talk

Advanced search

Dh being disciplined with a shoddy investigation - help?!

(5 Posts)
CaptainCaveman Sat 27-Nov-10 17:04:05

Dh has been called to a disciplinary meeting next week and the investigation notes recieved this morning read like a witch hunt. Very one sided. Obv he is upset by this and will see his union rep on Monday, but I'd really appreciate any guidance that may help him prepare for the hearing. Sorry to be vague, don't want to give too much detail.

wubbzy1981 Sat 27-Nov-10 18:02:14

My DH has gone through the same thing and has just found out that he has been fired.

I can suggest that your DH put in a formal grievance about the way the situation is being handled.

Is it for a sackable offence?

onimolap Sat 27-Nov-10 18:10:23

I'm guessing, but it probably reads like a witch-hunt because it's the case for the prosecution. Your DH, with his union rep, now needs to prepare the defence (sorry for courtroom analogy -hope it won't be too adversarial).

He needs to start by checking that facts are accurate, and the account is complete. Are there other people who should have been interviewed? Other documents (ideally contemporaneous) which should be included? Other circumstances which need consideration?

Besom Sat 27-Nov-10 18:19:03

My dh had a disciplinary thing last year which was eventually thrown out, as it were, after he appealed it. I think he did put in a formal grievance as well.

I would suggest that he write everything down as well dates, times etc. If there are any witnessess in his side, get them to write it down as well. Go through all their notes with a fine tooth comb, and get hold of relevent employment policies, including policies about how they are supposed to handle investigations, anti-bullying policies if appropriate etc.

flowerybeanbag Sat 27-Nov-10 19:37:37

It is going to be one sided because it's essentially the case against him, but if he thinks the investigation was shoddy in some way, such as crucial witnesses not interviewed, facts overlooked, inappropriate person conducting investigation or anything like that he should make those points.

Otherwise it's about defending himself against the allegations in question, pointing out inaccuracies or mitigating circumstances. But definitely highlight anything procedural that could be considered unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now