Talk

Advanced search

job has changed signficantly, where do i stand?

(15 Posts)
AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:14:44

it's wwyd really..

i loved my job and now it has virtually disappeared, slipped through my fingers..

my manager is on maternity leave and cover for her full time position is now down to one day a week

I cant do my job to any satisfaction now as i cover her work, mine falls by the wayside with resultant stress, working from home at weekends and evenings just to stand still

Senior management have just let me get on with it and i now feel a mug because i am under constant stress with everything late
they have made no approach re extra responsibilites / rewards..

i know it's cold out there, and i really dont want to leave but how do i approach them about changing job description and also get them to address the fact that i am now in charge of the department and other members of staff - this should be rewarded surely?
i really feel a fool now.. i had a great job which i was good at and it's slipped through my fingers
by trying to be conscientious and doing what needs to be done, i just feel a mug
i work late and also some weekends to try and stay on top - when i mention this, senior boss just does not respond

we have no HR department, my senior boss is quite unapproachable and 'likes solutions not problems'!
help!

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:22:12

bump

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 20:25:24

Give him a solution
Draw up your new JD as job share for cover (presumably the other person has a JD?)
Come up with a plan (reprioritisation & delegation) to handle the day job you're currently not doing and present it to him.
If he doesn't respond, send a follow up email.
If he still doesn't respond, look for a new job.,

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:37:06

thanks

I re-organised dept to take into account lack of cover and hired assistant to help

I did new job descriptions for everyone but he has not informed the rest of the company of my role changing, partly i think to avoid paying me any more money, and it would be formal acceptance of this
he agrees with me on a one to one, but as he will not do anything to implement it through out the company so i dont really have authority to carry out manager role..

the management of things takes so much time, i just yearn to do my own work
saddo i know

have been looking for new work but truly just want my old job back

llareggub Mon 22-Nov-10 20:38:08

If you do decide to move on, the changing the way you think about your current situation may help. You are covering your manager's maternity leave so gaining new skills and experience for your CV.

Try and imagine each week as another step towards your goal of moving on. Think about it in terms of you getting out of the company what you can in order to leave for something bigger and better.

If you decide to stay, the Steath's advice is great.

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 20:45:33

ah sorry, so you've done all that, but actually, you don't want paying more you just want your normal job back!
Do you have regular meetings with mat cover person (who surely is now your line manager?) where you talk about current tasks? Can you make it clear that while you're willing to be flexible and cover in the short term you aren't happy with your job changing long term?

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:45:54

good idea llareggub but i really loved the job i used to have
have tried to think positively but now am feeding assistant and freelancer work, feel that i am doing it all badly now

my work is mainly freelanced based, staff jobs are rare

dh is fed up with my moaning and arghhh now i've just boiled my rice to mush oh feck,
cant do much well atm

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 20:45:54

and then start saying no to things?
Easier said than done I know

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:52:10

yes, it is easier said than done

have que of demanding people by my desk most days so work from home now and again
nearly in tears this morning, its very stressful

i have a meeting with him later in week, i might email ahead and ask if we can speak about the changes that have taken place more fully

trouble is, he only wants to talk to me when one day a week cover is in, i have approached him before but get the hand response

it makes me feel like a wet dishrag to read what i am writing here about myself confused

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 20:54:07

Why him? Surely the cover has taken the place of your LM?

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 20:57:47

sorry stealth, just saw your other post

yes, she is lovely girl but not in our business anymore, studying to be a lawyer but used to do the managing job..

she understands but wants out herself; is sympathetic in person but emails me with reams of stuff to do in her absence including an out of office email reply that tells everyone to contact me, i told her to knock that on the head

she is due to leave after christmas and i almost think it better to have the dept on its knees so it can be fixed properly
her cover has been like a slow death really

i think they should pay me more, this has been going on since May but its not my main issue

the laugh is, they didnt want me to cover the manager initially as he said i was so good at my job, now its just 'get on with it'

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 21:07:09

yes, she has taken the place but due to lack of hours she will not take any of this internal stuff on board..sympathises on personal level then 'see you next week'..

crikey, it's interesting to write about this!

i really thought they would approach me to sort it out but it seems if you are mug enough to do it, then you can crack on with it..

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 21:34:11

well,..probably not that interesting for anyone else! grin

i will speak and couch it carefully am main breadwinner and cannot afford to be shown the door

thanks

HystericalMe Mon 22-Nov-10 21:39:53

They sound like they really need you there if you have queues of people by your desk.

You can point this out to your boss.

What if you cut back on your work for a week so that you're only doing what is in your job description?

You can't get fired for that!

AuraofDora Mon 22-Nov-10 22:25:19

I would do that Hysterical but i have now hired an assistant (i went mental and said i couldnt cope) so they expect it to be done
and we are clearing the back log but it's a big back log

My problem is i guess that i havent been given the authority officially to do the managers job and although i am doing it

I never get time to do my work as the day to day just gets in the way

assistant only started last week and needs time to bed in
i am still covering someone elses position and although she is nice am beginning to realise it all cuts her way and not mine

oh, its just a mess really and i almost cry in the mornings as i cant take it much more

my dad died last year and the work stress on top of all the personal stuff is just too much sometimes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: