Talk

Advanced search

Twins and going back to work

(3 Posts)
gertrude100 Tue 16-Nov-10 23:42:01

Twins + work = financial ruin. is there any help out there? at the moment we'd be making a loss by me going back to work after paying for aa childminder but not as much of a loss as if i didn't go back at all. it's all very depressing. any handy hints would be greatly appreciated
thanks

annh Wed 17-Nov-10 07:54:02

Your position is not really any different to anybody who has two children in childcare at the same time. Sometimes a nanny can work out more cost-effective if you have two children who need care. However, assuming you have investigated that option already you need to look at the long-term implications of going back to work. Yes, you may have no money for a number of years (although you indicate that you will get some financial benefit) but at least you will still get your benefits (perhaps pension contributions, healthcare) and you will keep your skills current. When your children start school, your costs will drop and things will be easier. Also check that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to - tax credits, perhaps childcare vouchers if your work offers them? Good luck, many of us have been there before you! In fact, I am still paying for after-school care for a 12 and 9 yr old and wondering if there is ever an end in sight!

gertrude100 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:49:43

thanks, thats really useful re keeping your skills and benefits. my boss has said i can possibly take one day a week off holiday as well so i guess we have to investigate all options...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: