Talk

Advanced search

Interview questions

(6 Posts)
dolcegusto Sat 13-Nov-10 20:35:25

I'm interviewing for an assistant to help out part time in my office, I have 3 interviews lined up next week, the problem is I've never been the interviewer before and I'm not really sure what to ask, or what answers I should be looking for.

The job is basically to help out with whatever needs doing in the office, there are 2 others working full time but I'm a part time director and just need someone to help out with some of the more mundane bits that I don't have time to do.

So wise mners, what should I ask and what are good answers?

Marlinspike Sat 13-Nov-10 23:00:18

You need to base the questions around the job requirements. Will the candidates need any It skills? - If so, you could set them a test (eg word processing a letter / copy & paste from one doc to another.)

I would ask them to give examples of how they have tackled certain tasks - rather than asking "how would blah blah blah", ask them "can you tell me about a time when you did blah blah blah, what worked well and what could you have done differently?" This gives them a chance to tal about their experiences, or to highlight transferable skills.

Finally have a good read through of their application forms or CVs and ask any questions arising from them.

Remember to give them the opportunity to ask any questions, and I always ask whether they are still interested at the end of the interview.

Good luck!

maybemore Mon 15-Nov-10 16:08:42

Here are some of my old faves:

Give me an example of a difficult problem and how you went about resolving it?

What do you look for in a boss? (shows what kind of person you are getting)

What do you know about this company?

Tell me about a good team you have worked in? Why do you think it worked so well?

How do you think you help develop this company?

Give me three adjectives that describe you best.

How do you handle stress/pressure?

Where do you think your weaknesses lie? (everyone is expecting this but always a good question).

Plus definitely do a test.

flowerybeanbag Tue 16-Nov-10 10:36:33

I've been umming and ah-ing about posting this but at the risk of being accused of advertising, if you sign up for my newsletter I can send you loads of questions and interviewing help

If anyone's at all concerned with me putting that link there do either report my post or let me know and I'll ask for it to be removed, not a problem at all.

flowerybeanbag Tue 16-Nov-10 10:44:12

Actually I'm going to report my own post and ask MNHQ to remove it if they think they should. Dolcegusto if it's gone by the time you read this drop me an email at the address on my profile.

cowboylover Wed 24-Nov-10 21:01:43

I interview regularly and its hard!

I agree that the Tell me about a time you... questions really bring out the character of a person and not so easy to practice as the usual why do you want it ect questions.

I dont know if anyone is allowed to say it out loud but also go with your gut! Sometimes you just think I really want to be able to work with this person.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: