Talk

Advanced search

New Job & Paternity Pay / Leave

(6 Posts)
missnatalie Fri 12-Nov-10 11:51:28

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

DH is due to start a new job in a few weeks and our 2nd DC is due in Feb. Since DH wouldnt have been working for his new employer for 26w before my 15th week of pregnancy, hes been told that he wont be entitled to Paternity Leave or pay.
Ive had a look on the hmrc website and this does seem to be the case. Is there anything else that he could be entitled to?
The thought of coming out of hospital and not having DH at home for the first few weeks just fills me with dread and im not sure if we can afford not to have any income if he does get time off.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks smile

eldritch Fri 12-Nov-10 11:59:08

Would he be able to use some of his annual leave? He might not have much depending on how his new employer calculates his leave allowance, but it might help a bit? If you don't want to use up his annual (i.e. paid) leave, he might be entitled to parental leave (unpaid unfortunately, but I think this depends on the employer.

Poogles Fri 12-Nov-10 12:15:21

Unfortunately there is nothing for people in his sitution. His employer should allow him some time off unpaid but I know this is not always an option - especially when there is a new baby in the house.

RibenaBerry Fri 12-Nov-10 12:48:52

Poogles is right, unfortunately there is no entitlement here.

Most employers will let you use holiday, and some offer unpaid paternity leave even for those without the service (though I realise you have financial issues with that).

missnatalie Fri 12-Nov-10 13:36:38

Thanks for the replys. I thought that would be the case. Its so frusturating. Aaarrghh. We'll just have to see if his new employer will let him take some A/L.
Someone at DS nursery has just told me that she was also in the same situation once and she was able to claim Income Support. Is this likely. Weve never claimed beneits before (apart from child benefit and child tax credit) so have no idead where to start.
I really dont want to face coming out of hospital and having a newborn and 2yr old to look after at the same time.

Thanks again smile

hairytriangle Fri 12-Nov-10 14:50:59

I doubt he'd get income support if taking unpaid leave from a regular job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: