Talk

Advanced search

would you go to work after throwing up?

(28 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 08:04:21

I am sleep deprived, DD was unwell in the night, i have spent have the night dealing with her (although DH took over so I could spend some of that looking after DS too who woke), then the other half fighting sickness (and listening to the washing machine going round on spin cycle cleaning pukey bedclothes).

Got up for work, made a coffee, made myself look vaguely human, two sips of coffee, up chucked all my dinner from last night, undigested (curry).

Feel better, but still feel sick, headache, really really stinking headache. Might be sorted with medicine. Might not.

I have only 5 hours at work, but they will be 5 intense hours, and I have clients to see, so 1) i need to see them 2) i don't want to see them in between vomiting.

what should I do?

chocoholic Mon 08-Nov-10 08:05:10

Go back to bed.

thighsmadeofcheddar Mon 08-Nov-10 08:06:31

No Pav, stay at home.

anotherbrickinthewall Mon 08-Nov-10 08:07:54

don't go to work. you are in no fit state and probably infectious.

ethelina Mon 08-Nov-10 08:08:15

Yes agree- back to bed. Paracetamol, water, sleep.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 08-Nov-10 08:10:57

the clients would probably catch it, stay at home.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 08:12:55

out of all the days to be poorly, monday is the worst day.

SkylineDrifter Mon 08-Nov-10 08:28:04

Back to bed with you young lady! Don't try to be brave with something like this.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 10:03:42

holy moses.

I have mostly been sick this morning. good job i did not go into work! My skin is crawling, my muscles hurt,I am hot/cold.

And worst thing? DH is feeling like I did a few hours ago, so two children, one not sick anymore but quite grumpy, and a baby who is so far <touch wood> fine but clingy, but likely to get it i should think.

And work are still a pain.

ethelina Mon 08-Nov-10 10:14:20

Poor you, tell work to stuff it. It's obviously going to work it's way through you all so I would see if you can batten down the hatches today and go with the flow as a family. Hopefully by tomorrow morning you will all be feeling much better.

DarciesmumandTTC2 Mon 08-Nov-10 10:19:10

I've stayed at home for that very reason, and I work in a GP practice so not a good idea if its a bug.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 10:23:39

DH has gone out for 'provisions' while he feels reasonably ok, so that if he does get it like i currently have, we can manage without having to go anywhere for a couple of days.

This is just awful. I haven't had a proper stomach bug for a long time. I was very sick when pregnant, but not this horrid fluey feeling with it, and at least then once I was sick I had some respite even if only for a couple of hours.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 10:23:57

Sorry you are also feeling rough darciesmum

DarciesmumandTTC2 Mon 08-Nov-10 10:25:43

Pavlov hope you feel better soon.

Ormirian Mon 08-Nov-10 10:30:25

Stay at home.

It's a bug! How much do you hate your clients that you'd want to pass it on?

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 14:17:19

orm it very much depends on the day wink.

So i stopped being sick mostly, about 1 hour ago. The worst vomiting session ever and then felt better, which I have not been after each 'episode' up to then. All I had to do was move to see what dd wanted and that was it, head in the bowl.

Now, I feel very feverish, pinprickly all over, weak and achey, like I have flu, have a couple of ulcers in my mouth and a slight sore throat.

DH is now in bed having done his morning stint. He has not been sick but feels fluey.

DD is fit as a fiddle, you would not even know she had been sick, but school said not to send her back til wednesday as it has to be 48 hours and she was sick in the night. In fact, she has been coming into the bedroom and stroking my hair and singing me get well songs. Lovely girl.

DS, well he has not even been touched by it yet. Poor thing has not eating as much as normal though as we just cannot face sitting there feeding him, so he has had some more milk than normal. Thats ok isn't it? (bad mummy emoticon).

I often thought it was the worst thing to look after a baby when both parents are sick themselves. Now I know that was a breeze, compared to two children! It is times like these that i feel certain that two is enough. Looking after 3 children when poorly would be hell on earth

franke Mon 08-Nov-10 14:24:39

I think the advice is to stay off for 48 hours after the symptoms have disappeared because you're still infectious. My family had this over the weekend. They're pretty much okay now but I've kept them home till tomorrow. Sympathies, I have had the same in the last 24 hours, but think I got off fairly lightly.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 14:28:33

franke does that apply to adults/work or just the kids? is it that adults get on with it regardless as soon as they can function again? grin

franke Mon 08-Nov-10 14:55:36

I thought it was everyone, but I could be wrong smile. It's obv pretty infectious and admirable as it is to want to get back to work asap, as an employer I'd be pretty pissed off if a whole load more people went off sick because you went back to work still infectious. Come on woman, don't be a hero, sit on the sofa mumsnetting and watching daytime tv till it's safe to venture out again. It's the only responsible course of action.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 15:08:03

franke I am here, as you rightly say, on the sofa, MN'ing while the kids watch cbeebies and play toys wreck the front room grin.

I still feel sick but that might be because I have not eaten anything. And I am a bit afraid to tbh in case it comes back up.

Tomorrow I am likely to stay off as I cannot imagine I will feel 'fine' tomorrow, even if i feel better.

franke Mon 08-Nov-10 15:15:38

That's what I've been doing all day too. DH has just come home and de-wrecked the front room and is now taking the dc out for some fresh air. That means I can spend some more quiet time mumsnetting watching tv recovering my strength.

Hulababy Mon 08-Nov-10 15:18:38

I am not allowed. Officially I am supposed to stay off for 48 hours afterwards, although most tend to do 24 hours. I work in an infant school and the head is pretty strict over it. I was sick once at school, head heard and sent me home there and then. Wasn't even that ill, but still barred from school for 2 days after.

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 15:29:41

i finish work at 1pm. stopped vomitting at 1:30pm (well bit of bile after, but nothing much). so, 48 hours from the is wed at 1:30pm, so does that mean i should not go in til thursday shock no, i have to go in wednesday, i got things to do!

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 15:31:47

i wish dh would take the kids out for some air. but he is asleep. has been asleep for 2 hours. when do you think would be reasonable to wake him so i can sleep, as i have not so far today on account of being busy vomiting. He has not been sick but 'felt sick' and has felt feverish/knackered (he did do his share last night and this morning).

PavlovtheCat Tue 09-Nov-10 22:47:54

ok, please advise if you do come back on to this ladies...

I have mostly recovered from said bug. I am no longer vomiting, i am aching and tired, but likely able to return to work tomorrow on the face of it, albeit with a forced smile and some effort.

DH has been unwell, but not vomiting. He has had the symptoms of me, including feeling sick, but not actually been so, however, has been pretty unwell with rest of the sickness. He is feeling a bit better, but has developed a bit of a cough. He is normally very tough, does not get ill or if he does shakes it off.

DD has been unwell, sunday night/monday morning, but is now recovered from the sickness bug. She has complained today of a sore throat/says it hurts to swallow. Has not eaten much and been difficult. But that could also be because she is now bored/off school. She is due back at school tomorrow.

DS is 11 months. He has between thursday and Sunday had a high fever, no other symptoms, bit tired. on Monday this was gone. He appeared to miss the sickness bug completely. He has been very fussy from yesterday afternoon, all night, and all today. he only wants boob milk and lots of it, won't settle, won't sleep, won't eat, he has come up with viral spots (pinpricky rash) all over his torso and some of his face, no fever, but developing a bit of a cough, been grinding his teeth, dribbling (had thought teeth). He has gone to bed eventually but woken several times with a very croaky/almost non-existant cry and clearly has a sore throat.

I have this horrid feeling that this is not over yet, that there is more to come illness wise, and that maybe this stomach bug was some kind of virus that has yet to pass, and has affected us a bit differently. Seems like DH/DS have had similar DD/I have had similar.

Now, my issue is - i told work that they could expect me back tomorrow. I now wish I had said I did not know. what on earth do I do? a not quite well DH looking after two poorly children? while another mostly but not quite well DW goes to work? So do I go in, take the day off as another sick day as it is all related and I am so knackered from no sleep to recover from this that its not far off, tell them honestly what has gone on (if boss lets me talk that long) and take it as a childcare day, which will look odd after 2 days sick? wtf? not been in the situation before...

of course, i could be panicking, and tomorrow we might all wake up, after a good 8 hours sleep and we will all be fit as fiddles chokes while laughing so hard at that notion.

I am thinking aloud really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now