Talk

Advanced search

Long and moany, but I hate my job.

(13 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Fri 05-Nov-10 15:03:18

I realise that I'm lucky to have a job etc etc, but I really need some advice with a dilemma that's making me miserable.

I have a job, which, on paper, is enviable. I work 2.5 days, the pay is OK, and I can more or less choose my own hours.

But I have been doing the same thing for four years, and I am bored to tears. There is nowhere else in the organisation for me to go, and ny job has no prospect of changing. (It's quite unique, so I can't say here what it is I do).

The way the organisation works is really old-fashioned, and we work in a horrible building where nothing works properly, and there is no natural daylight. I have nothing in common with the person I share a room with, and she's a real moaner and is bringing me down further. I can spend the whole 2.5 days not talking to another soul.

I have been looking for other jobs, and have had interviews, but the feedback is that I'm not talking about my achievements enough.

The thing is that I'm so bored and demoralised at work, that it's now spilling into my personal life. I can't be bothered doing anything with my leisure time, because I'm constantly dreading going back into the office.

I took this job when funding ran out for my previous role, and I knew from day 1 that it felt wrong.

I'm sorry to moan, but I feel like I've wasted four years, and I'm scared I never get another job. I can't see the wood for the trees. I need some career advice, but I don't know where to start.

nikos Fri 05-Nov-10 15:51:55

You have my sympathies as am in same boat. What I have done is isolated where I want to work and what I want to do and am volunteering in that organisation. It does make the boring job even more boring!!! but at least i feel I have a get out plan. HTH

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 05-Nov-10 15:59:21

I don't have any advice really. I left my job 6 weeks ago. It was awesome. The sort of job people corner you about at parties and is the envy of your friends. World famous company...etc etc.

But I had done it. I had been with company too long. I was bored. It looked great on paper but in reality was 90% politics and spreadsheets and arse-covering.

So I resigned - no point hanging around getting more rubbish, less motivated and risking reputation. Still haven't landed on the sunny side of the street yet but something will come up.

I am a bad example I admit it.

I think you need to big yourself up more, get a CV together. But also remember it is really really really hard to get flexible working in another advertised job so maybe freelance or contracts is the way to go.

AgentProvocateur Fri 05-Nov-10 16:26:07

Thanks, both of you. I thought I was going to get a real arse-kicking for being so ungrateful.

Nikos, volunteering is a good idea. I just need to think about what I'd really like to do. (Restaurant critic? wink)

Tondelayo, you have inspired me. I just wish I had the guts to do the same.

I don't need flexible working any more. The DC are teenagers, so I'd be happy in a 9-5. I think contract work or short-term work would suit me - I like a job where the end is in sight!

I had my own copywriting business when the DC were small, and I still do a bit from time to time, but I've lost my confidence with that too. I can, literally, spend all my time off procastinating and fannying about, then I lie in bed at night, wide awake, berating myself for not having done anything productive to make my job situation better.

Speckledeggy Fri 05-Nov-10 17:30:17

Yes, like Tondelay I would chuck the job. I too am also a bit of a risktaker though!

It is impossible to get excited about anything if you feel miserable in your job and if you feel miserable you will look it which will not generate anything positive.

Can you afford to chuck it? If you do, it will make room for something nice to appear.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 05-Nov-10 19:33:36

Don't let me be your inspiration! I had a £1 Iceland Pizza for dinner and paid the nanny with bags of pennies this week...!

But give it time. [worlddominationemoticon] grin

protected Fri 05-Nov-10 19:42:34

<checks namechange>

I've resigned from my job, and it feels great. Every time I get the feeling of doom that Monday is rapidly approaching, I remember that I've resigned and I'm working my notice.

I'm joining my husband in the business we started several years ago, and I raring to get going. The excitement I feel about it is something I haven't felt for a long, long time in my current job.

I'd noticed at work that I was finding it difficult to relate to people, because the smallest things were irritating me. I began to think that perhaps it was me being a PITA rather than them, due to the way I felt about work. I really didn't want to be that person so I resigned.

I've no idea if we'll be able to support us both but frankly I will have to make it work. There's no going back now! Luckily I have some plans to develop our business and set something up which involves my previous career, so all is not lost.

I tell you all this in case it helps. But in all honestly I have been mulling this over for about a year and had even considered hiring a coach to help me work things through. Worth thinking about, perhaps?

AgentProvocateur Fri 05-Nov-10 19:55:15

Thanks. I could afford to give it up, although we'd need to cut back. The thing that's stopping me is the fact that every application form asks for a reason for leaving previous jobs. What spin would I put on it?

Protected - you have described exactly how I feel. And I know I am a sullen PITA (at work), and it's so not me.

I can't sleep the night before I have work the next day, and I need a shitload of dental work, mainly because I've been clenching my teeth when I do sleep.

I've had really stressful jobs before, but nothing is quite as stressful as being bored and underutilised. A day feel like it lasts forever.

Speckledeggy Sat 06-Nov-10 08:30:01

I would say that if you don't feel like yourself and you're grinding your teeth you just need to get out. You should have peaks and troughs in your life but not mountains and craters (which you can't climb out of!).

If asked why I left I would just say that it was no longer working for me and I wanted some time off to reassess. You could then put a positive spin on it by saying all the things you like about work but aren't getting in your current position (dealing with lots of different people at different levels, being busy, organising everyone, blah, blah, blah...).

You've been there for four years which is a good innings. Go on, be brave. There's a million and one checkout/pub/carer jobs out there if you need something to tide you over (and apparently carers are some of the happiest workers out there!).

ScroobiousPip Sat 06-Nov-10 08:36:11

Have you tried using an agent to help you improve your CV and interview techniques? It sounds like you desperately need to find a new job - life is too short to waste it being miserable (it took me more than 10 years to find a job I really love and I regret not doing it sooner). Well done though for being brave enough to contemplate the change. It's a big step.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 07-Nov-10 14:09:48

"Every application form asks for a reason for leaving previous jobs. What spin would I put on it?"

Be as honest as possible. Say you had reached a plateau in your previous company and were looking for a new challenge. Emphasise how much you learned there and be positive about the company while also saying that you felt you had outgrown the role.

I know several people who resigned without a job to go to (3/6 month notice periods) and while some people raised eyebrows - they were all either employed in a better role while still in their notice period or went onto run successful businesses.

Disclaimer: none of these people are me. yet. grin

AgentProvocateur Tue 09-Nov-10 22:27:19

You've all given me lots to think about, and already I feel more positive. I've found someone to look at my CV, and then I'll put out feelers and register with agencies.

Thanks for your support.

Speckledeggy Fri 12-Nov-10 20:57:32

Ah, good luck! You'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now