Talk

Advanced search

i need some advice for DH to approach his boss regarding increasing his pay

(12 Posts)
blushingm Wed 03-Nov-10 19:57:41

DH is a qualified mechanic, MOT tester, MOT quality controller and in charge of all MOT rellated stuff at work as well os being the work shop manager - dealing with colleagues greivances etc and customers, allocsating work etc etc

2 years ago they all had thier working week reduced from 40 hours to 35 which also meant a pay reduction - they have not had any pay rises for 3 years and have been a little quiet but still steady

Anyway I've been looking just out of insterest how much just vehicle technicians are advertised at earning. Well DH basic is £12000 p/a and just vehicle technicans (not fully quallfied) are being advertised for from anything from £17000 to £25000 and that's without the mot qualifications and other manager duties dh has.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to approach the garage owner about a payrise without the boss just saying well fine then leave. DH has worked here for 16 years did his apprentiship etc here and enjoys the job and the people plus it's local to home too but there seems such a gap between what he is being paid and what people are being offered for less of a job.

thanks for any advice offered

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Nov-10 20:10:52

His advantage is that if the owner was to replace your OH it would cost him the going rate plus advertising and time to interview.

That is if the owner would bother to replace him...

The disadvantages are that in this current climate payrises aren't happening, pay freezes and cuts are. And if the garage manager is struggling a little and looking for redundancies.. well some people take these things as an opportunity.

Are there jobs out there he'd consider going for. If so apply. And have a chat to the manager saying.. "I love it here and I am very grateful for the opportunities you have given me over the years to get so well qualified. But I have a family now and I need to provide for them.."

The manager may decide he is too good to lose and give a rise. Your OH might wish to consider taking a rise to the level over a few years instead of all in one go? Only cos' of the economic climate.

I think he needs to get looking at what is out there and talk to his boss.

blushingm Wed 03-Nov-10 20:27:43

thank flipper - the boss would need to replace him as he's the only one fully qualified, trained in diagnostics and has done the extra mot courses - the other guys have thier mot licenses but not the extra

both the boss and his girlfriend both drive brand new mercs with private plater plus he's even put a plate on the garage run around so i don't think he's struggling for disposable income

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Nov-10 20:32:48

Therefore they are taking him for granted so your OH needs to get looking and considering the fact it is time to move along.

If your OH has been a good grafter and is required the manager will give a pay rise knowing he's been underpaying him for a long time. And all will be well.

But seeing as the manager hasn't been reasonable enough to provide your OH with a pay increase apt for his quals.. Well make me think the manager is abit suss.

Oblomov Wed 03-Nov-10 20:59:43

Start applying first. One of dh's employees asked for a pay rise today and was told to sling his hook, by the MD. It is a risk.
If he is that stingy and such a poor boss, he's not going to suddenly become nice and giving £1000's extra is he ?
Plus the difference is huge. £12k compared to £25k ? did I get thta bit wrong ?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 03-Nov-10 21:02:00

£12K is not much above the minimum wage....

northerngirl41 Fri 05-Nov-10 20:48:52

Has the garage increased its prices or its workload during that time? If not, they don't have any more cash going into the business.

Whilst it's possible that DH is valuable enough to the business for the owner to sacrifice his own disposable income, if you call his bluff by asking for more money, you have to be prepared to follow through and go look for a new job.

tb Tue 23-Nov-10 16:24:40

Perhaps he could look at how the garage has increased its hourly rates for mechanics etc over the last 3-5 years. That would give his a starting point for assessing how the garage's income has increased during that period.

Good luck

hairytriangle Tue 23-Nov-10 20:36:47

"both the boss and his girlfriend both drive brand new mercs with private plater plus he's even put a plate on the garage run around so i don't think he's struggling for disposable income"

Unfortunately this has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue, and he should not bring any personal issues in to this (because if a member of my staff did, I'd tell them to sling their hook). What the business owner does with his money is his business.

The trick is to be assertive but not aggressive, and not make empty threats.

Your OH has the advantage of having been there a long time and having proved reliable - If I was him I'd ask for a meeting, and take in the adverts you've found (the more the better) stating better terms.

Menagerie Tue 23-Nov-10 22:57:37

Is there a reason why he isn't applying for any of these other jobs? His boss sounds very uncaring of his workforce - rubbing their noses in his wealth whilst paying them far below the going rate. Why is he so loyal? If I were him I'd get on the phone to the other garages.

Ponders Tue 23-Nov-10 23:06:25

£12,000 over 35 hrs a week is £6.60 ph.

Garage work is charged out at anything over £50ph (they covered it in Which this month but I can't remember exactly)

Your DH is being seriously underpaid for what he does - boss is taking the piss hmm

NikNak69 Tue 23-Nov-10 23:27:01

Is this a small garage that he works for? and the vacancies that you have found are they for an equivilant work place to what he is in now. Just things you need to take into consideration.
Unfortunatly him not having a pay rise for the last 3 years is probably not unlike many people in the work place today, we have certainly had a pay freeze in place that long and personally I cant see it changing next year either.
It is unfortunate that his hours were cut, which did mean a decrease in earnings, but on the other hand many people in all types of jobs actually had to take a pay cut with no decrease in hours so maybe he didnt come out so badly from that one.
Has he applied for any of these vacancies that you have found? As I cannot see his boss being able to afford to more or less double his wage if like you say the garage is still fairly quiet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: