Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy - help

(3 Posts)
emma123456 Wed 03-Nov-10 16:25:49

I've been told today that they are looking at making my position redundant and have sent me a letter with other internal vacancies, none of which match my skill set or salary.

They said the consultation period is one week.

What happens next? I only work tues/wed so Im not due back in until Tuesday, am I supposed to return to work next week? I dont really understand this process. Am I entitled to any redundancy pay, I've only worked there since Feb 09.

Am i supposed to do anything? Do I go back to work?

Thanks in advance

chanie44 Wed 03-Nov-10 17:28:26

Sorry to hear this.

The consultation period basically allows you and the employer to think of ways to avoid redundancy, so if you have any ideas, you need to tell them. Although in practice, this doesn't often happen.

Once the consultation period is over, they will write to you to confirm your redundancy and then you'll be put on 'notice' - although they may not require you to work the notice.

In answer to your question, you are still employed so you should turn up for work as normal.

In order to qualify for statutory redundancy, you need to have two years continuous service, which is sounds like you don't. Unless your company offers enhanced redundancy, you won't be entitled to anything.

In terms of redeployment, are you interested in any of the other jobs? You say they don't match your skill set or salary - they don't have you. If for example, the job is at a higher level, but with a little bit of training and devleopment, you could do the job, then you should tell them.

Final points

If they require you to work your notice, you are entitled to reasonable time off work to look for other jobs. This includes interviews, visiting agencies etc.

If there are any jobs in your company that you aren't sure about, you can do the job for a ocuple of weeks to see if it is suitable for you.

If you reasonably turn down suitable alternative employment, you could forfeit your right to redundancy.

emma123456 Mon 08-Nov-10 13:13:28

Many thanks for your advice, I much appreciate it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: