Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about doing some unpaid work during Maternity Leave ... should I?

(20 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:23:23

I work self-employed and I have one project that I would like to continue to work on during my maternity leave, (about 2 hours a week) but obviously I can't be paid for it.

I am expecting baby no. 2.

If I don't do the work unpaid, the client will go to another company and I won't have the work (paid) AFTER maternity leave.

What should I do?

jampots Fri 19-Aug-05 11:25:49

do it as a favour

sweetheart Fri 19-Aug-05 11:26:18

Personally I would do the work and arrange for payment to be made after maternity leave. I know it's wrong but I'm sure lots of other people do it!!!

nailpolish Fri 19-Aug-05 11:27:25

can you ask for a deferred payment? (is that what its called?)

morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:28:28

While claiming Maternity Allowance you can't do any work for which you have been paid or are expecting to be paid - otherwise you have to paid back your MA!

So unfortunately deferred payment isn't an option!

nailpolish Fri 19-Aug-05 11:29:09

i would still do it if you feel up to it, may be worth it in th e long run, as you say

jampots Fri 19-Aug-05 11:30:28

then dont be paid for it whilst doing it on ML but increase your rate after you return to work (temporarily)

morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:31:53

Do you reckon that I WILL feel up to it, with two children?

Or will it be too much of a committment?

With my daughter I was DESPERATE to do something 'intellectual' but I'm wondering whether with two I'll just be desperate for sleep.

Nemo1977 Fri 19-Aug-05 11:33:02

what about being able to take the time back when you return???? I had to go on a few training days for work after having ds and was able to take the time back when I returned to work.

Nemo1977 Fri 19-Aug-05 11:33:51

meant to say dont know how that would work out being self employed??????

morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:35:30

Good idea but don't get any holiday or time off being self-employed, unfortunately!

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 11:42:39

If you are paid after your maternity leave for the work the MA people will never know that you did it during your leave. Just don't invoice until you are back at work properly. Yes, I know it's a bit sneaky but MA is such a pitiful amount and I think it is so unfair that the self-employed get so much less than employed people. The alternative is to ask if you can do it 'unpaid' but add enough to subsequent projects to pay you for it, iyswim.
How much work is it? Will you have someone to take your kids for long enough for you to do it? How soon after the birth will you be expected to do it? It can be very stressful, I have to say.

morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:44:17

I'd probably have to start within a week of baby being born. It would be up to 2 hours a week. DH would take the children - I can do it at any time.

Really don't want to lose the client.

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 11:47:08

A week (or three!) might be very hard. Could you do any of it in advance? I think if you do this, you could swing the payment thing.

jampots Fri 19-Aug-05 11:48:31

crikey you should be able to find 2 hours a week. Just invite your parents/his parents/ etc and they'll spend longer than that just cooing over baby.

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 11:49:03

Is it really, really just two hours though?

morningpaper Fri 19-Aug-05 11:51:59

It really WILL have to be unpaid because my business is v. small and I REALLY couldn't afford to pay back any maternity leave - it's a big client so everything is above-board.

It really won't be any longer than 2 hours a week ...

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 11:58:23

Look, I work for huge corporations, and found them very helpful...nudge nudge... honestly.

What about my idea of temporarily raising your rate after maternity leave to cover the money you didn't get paid during maternity leave? You can only ask.

jampots Fri 19-Aug-05 12:00:02

aloha - i had that sneaky idea first

aloha Fri 19-Aug-05 12:01:00

Sorry Jampots! You are officially sneakier than me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now