Talk

Advanced search

Irritating and hurtful

(12 Posts)
Pipsqueak11 Sat 20-Apr-19 22:43:42

Spent best part of £500 renting a poky cottage for the weekend - drive 5 hrs down m5 yesterday sweating like I don't know what to visit my elderly dad with my dh and dd1 and dd2 .
Go out today with my family and my father . Meet up with my brother his wife and their daughter / my niece who all live 40 mins away .
Feel v upset that my dad dishes out £20 to my niece because he 'doesn't see her very often' and ignores my two. It's true he doesn't see her v often and that's because she doesn't like him and can't be assed.
I've dragged mine away from their mates and feel mightily pissed off for doing so . Of course I haven't said anything as don't want to be grabby but what a twattish thing to do . Grrrr! Just needed to vent!

ssd Sat 20-Apr-19 22:56:41

That's shite, yours should be getting treated too.

Pipsqueak11 Sat 20-Apr-19 22:59:47

Exactly ssd!
I'd never do that to mine. I do wonder why I bother sometimes- he's 90 so gets away with everything but he's completely compos mentis so there's no excuse.

Singlenotsingle Sat 20-Apr-19 23:02:27

Maybe he's trying to "buy" her love, if he knows she doesn't like him. That doesn't make it right though.

Pipsqueak11 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:06:41

Could be right . I called him earlier and have arranged now to take my 2 to the beach for the day and meet up with him in the evening rather than spend the day altogether- need a break from him else may say something silly

Chocolate50 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:10:19

That's rude. And you are right there is a limit - just because someone is older doesn't mean that they should be able to treat your DD's like that.
Next time you know what to do!

Harriedharriet Sat 20-Apr-19 23:16:31

He may intend giving it to your two when you leave?

Pipsqueak11 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:18:47

By the time we leave on Monday he'll have forgotten I expect but we'll see. I will let you know

Tolleshunt Sat 20-Apr-19 23:20:34

Could you say something to him about it? Gently, I mean?

Pipsqueak11 Mon 22-Apr-19 23:11:44

I saw him today and did mention it - I started to blub a bit which didn't help but this all reminds me of DB being the golden child and now his DD too. Anyway my dad said he'd planned on giving my girls the same today which he did do . I'll never know if it was as a result of me mentioning it or whether it would have happened anyway. No argy bargy or drama just a feeling of sadness - it's too late now to ever change the dynamics and it would be pointless to try . All I can hope is my dds never feel like this about me or dh . Thanks all for your advice / support- it helps a lot.

ssd Tue 23-Apr-19 23:32:20

It's up to us as parents to make sure our kids don't feel the hurts we've felt from our own parents

It's just sad.

Pipsqueak11 Wed 24-Apr-19 00:15:00

Exactly that ssd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: