Talk

Advanced search

Where to find someone to keep my dad company?

(18 Posts)
Newhouse76 Mon 15-Apr-19 20:47:17

Parents live about 50 minutes drive from a city in Scotland.

DF is 79, early alziehmers and we are looking for someone to come round a couple of times a week to play some card games with him and walk around the block with him. This would give my mum a bit of a break too.

I dont think we need a carer at this stage.

Could anyone help me name the type of service im looking for and let me know where i could find this?

MistakenHoliday Mon 15-Apr-19 20:57:35

You mean like a befriending service? We've looked into these locally for my stepdad and there's a lot on offer - maybe start at the Age Concern or local council websites?

We found asking on local Facebook pages worked too - there were a fair few people who were happy to help out with this as it gave them some companionship too. Hope you find something!

FellaGoneRogue Mon 15-Apr-19 20:59:16

A friend of mine has set up this very service! Unfortunately no where near you though. She is truly amazing and has given up quite a successful career to focus on doing something she loves, is offered about 5 times as much work as she can manage.

Newhouse76 Mon 15-Apr-19 21:12:59

Thanks so much both of you! Ill start with the council and age concern.

Fellagonerogue - your friends service sounds amazing

Langrish Mon 15-Apr-19 21:16:17

Another Age Concern recommendation here. Don’t know if it’s the same in all areas, but my e bound MIL has a volunteer befriender who comes in to see her a couple of times each week. Chats, shares a cup of tea and does bits and pieces of shopping for her. She’s lovely, a mature lady herself, very local and her husband has even done a couple of little odd jobs in the house.

Binglebong Mon 15-Apr-19 21:16:24

Try googling Social Prescribing too. Not sure if it covers Scotland but very useful for this situation in England.

Langrish Mon 15-Apr-19 21:16:47

House bound, not e bound!

stucknoue Mon 15-Apr-19 21:19:07

I have done this for people, not near them alas - care agencies have people who will do this

TitianaTitsling Mon 15-Apr-19 21:20:41

Hi OP as you/he is up in a Scotland, try this site www.alzscot.org

TitianaTitsling Mon 15-Apr-19 21:21:44

And maybe look at income maximisation for attendance allowance in case it's a chargeable service.

MereDintofPandiculation Tue 16-Apr-19 09:56:13

There's basically two sources 1) volunteer befriending services 2) paid for - if you google care elderly agency and her nearest big town, or something similar, you'll dig out a number of care agencies in her area some of whom will offer befriending among their other services

BigcatLittlecat Tue 16-Apr-19 09:59:32

I had to call agescotland yesterday about my FIL who lives in Scotland and they were very helpful! They had a lot of information they could give out.

Finfintytint Tue 16-Apr-19 10:02:03

I would advertise for a self employed housekeeper/companion. I provide this service in my semi retirement. I do a little bit of housework but it’s mainly companionship, playing scrabble and dominoes, etc.

bilbodog Tue 16-Apr-19 10:32:22

Check with the alzheimers society, they might have local groups who have volunteers who do this. Also there might be day centres your dad could go to.

DIZZYTIGGER87 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:56:29

Possibly try local faith groups... I know that quite a few offer home visits, and not all of them will push their religion...or see if there's a local listening group/memory cafe where someone may be able to visit your dad

CMOTDibbler Tue 16-Apr-19 11:16:33

I'd see if you can find an independent Carer as starting with some social activities is a really good way to build trust and get them used to someone coming in.
My parents have a Carer, and once a week she takes mum out for a coffee and a trip round a garden centre. Mum won't tolerate the day centre at all

Fortysix Tue 16-Apr-19 14:16:34

What Titana says. They are truly marvellous.

helpfulperson Wed 17-Apr-19 22:01:40

Another vote for alzheimer's Scotland. The local organiser visited mum and provided all sorts of useful information including details of a local 'dementia cafe'. She also arranged an amazing lady who came for a couple of hours a week. She couldn't take dad out but she kept him company in the house and did a bit of light housework eg ironing or dusting. Mum could either go out or do things like gardening knowing someone else was 'in charge' of dad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: