Talk

Advanced search

How to keep I touch if parent doesn’t answer phone or video chat request?

(8 Posts)
JaniceRixensart Fri 05-Apr-19 21:49:20

Up until recently my 85 year old mum was doing okay with answering FaceTime on iPad or doing Messenger video, and sending occasional texts on her mobile phone. We had a video call almost every day. But now she seems unable to do FaceTime. She has forgotten how to answer the mobile phone, isn’t aware that she has received a text message. The land line is off the hook for long stretches of time. So, I’m thinking about having a camera in the living room that I can activate remotely (with iPad /iPhone) so I can talk to her without her having to do anything. Anyone out there done something like this? Any suggestions appreciated.

polarpig Sat 06-Apr-19 03:56:53

I haven't done that but could you both have something like an Alexa? If hers was on a timer plug you could set it to be on specific times and then she can just say call Janice and get connected to you?

ajandjjmum Sat 06-Apr-19 04:07:55

We have a Canary camera in MIL's living room, so we can check on her at any time. She loses the phone constantly.

Does your mother have carers in? Would it be possible for them to call you for her, so you could have a chat?

DianaT1969 Sat 06-Apr-19 05:38:31

Her forgetfulness might be part of a bigger decline. Is she happy living alone do you think? Does she get visitors every day? Sorry, I don't have experience of the camera/facetime thing. There is that doorbell app to check her visitors though, if that's of use.

junebirthdaygirl Sat 06-Apr-19 06:16:03

I was going to suggest her carers put her on the phone to you. Or do any other family pop in and out and would put her on to you?
Do you get to visit her often?

On another note does she have an emergency alarm bracelet in case she needs help suddenly? She would need to leave her phone connected at all times for that, l think.

RosaWaiting Sun 07-Apr-19 13:50:26

it's hard to tell without more info

is she leaving the landline off the hook because she doesn't wish to be disturbed? Are you worried about her or is it more that you miss talking to her? I certainly wouldn't put a camera in without permission.

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 07-Apr-19 20:23:10

On another note does she have an emergency alarm bracelet in case she needs help suddenly? She would need to leave her phone connected at all times for that, l think. I don't think the phone being off the hook would affect it.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 07-Apr-19 22:14:22

Do they not call her if alarm goes off. My dms did. Then she told them what's wrong and they contacted us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »