Advanced search

Moving area and finding sheltered housing

(6 Posts)
slems Sat 02-Feb-19 14:31:04

My elderly aunt needs to move into sheltered housing. I am her next of kin and closest relative, we have both agreed it would be best if she moves close to me (she is currently 3 hours away). I have looked for sheltered housing but most seem to be run by the council. Does anyone know if she would qualify for any of these, as she is out of area? How does one go about finding housing for elderly relatives from out of area? I'm finding it tricky to find the right info online, so any advice would be appreciated. She currently owns her own home, and gets home help through the council, but doesn't qualify for any assistance.

noarguments Sat 02-Feb-19 15:47:41

Look at - there is a searchable directory
Much sheltered housing to rent is run by the council or affiliated housing associations. She might be eligible if she is moving to receive care from you but each allocation policy is different.
Other housing associations run their own waiting lists separate from the council - they should still be listed on the above website. They won't be so restrictive. There are national ones like Anchor, but many locally based ones.
Or she could sell up and buy on the open market in a sheltered housing scheme (offered on a leasehold basis).
Just be sure you find out what "sheltered" means in each case, as it varies hugely.
Hope that helps.

brizzledrizzle Sat 02-Feb-19 15:49:07

They are expensive but McCarthy Stone and similar seem to be popular with people who have a house to sell and go leasehold.

wigglypiggly Sat 02-Feb-19 15:54:42

Rightmove have a sheltered housing section and warden controlled property under retirement living. I looked at housing association schemes but didnt qualify as already a home owner.

Unescorted Sat 02-Feb-19 15:54:59

If you google SDR Housing or NROSH+ it will return the page with a spreadsheet that gives the stock holding housing associations in each local authority.

It splits it into housing type - you can then run through the list of HA with sheltered / supported or over 55 housing in the local authority area you are interested in.

slems Sat 02-Feb-19 16:47:32

Thanks, this is all massively helpful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »