Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

Heart failure

(4 Posts)
Ihatemondayss Thu 08-Feb-18 14:51:28

Anyone had a parent with chronic heart failure or know someone who has? Did they get better? What's the life expectancy with someone who's got heart failure?

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 14:54:04

I hate to state the obvious but it means the heart is failing . My dad died 4 years ago after being told he had heart failure . They are unlikely to get better if they are old but my dads passing was very peaceful and quick .
You can ask to speak to the consultant if you need an explanation though .

timeistight Fri 09-Feb-18 13:37:18

My MIL was diagnosed with heart failure at the end of 2013. She is on the usual cocktail of statins, BP tablets, diuretics etc, which don't seem very effective to be honest. I know she has fatigue and chest pains and she sometimes finds it difficult to breathe. She also has massively swollen feet and legs, which affect her mobility and make her a falls risk.

It's only very recently that I have found out that she is not monitored by either her GP or the hospital that diagnosed her, which appears to be her choice. It's a degenerative condition so the underlying trend will always be down.

However, my friend on the other hand was diagnosed 10 years ago in her 50s, is stable on medication, has just walked the Great Wall of China and is now learning to tap dance!

WipsGlitter Sat 10-Mar-18 16:37:58

My mum was diagnosed with heart failure. It definitely shortened her life. She had issues with fluid on her legs and blistering. She had no energy and her quality of life deteriorated as she had no energy to go anywhere.

She died of an unrelated reason but her heart failure had left her no reserve to fight illness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: