Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

OT assessment?

(7 Posts)
Camelsinthegobi Mon 18-Dec-17 19:49:16

Hi. We’ve just moved my MIL across the country to live nearby. Loads of issues emerging but I wanted to ask you knowledge lot about whether you think she’d qualify for an OT assessment due to her mobility. She just can’t walk or stand for more than a few (5ish) minutes due to (she says) arthritic knees. So she can’t really walk around a shop, even. Would OTs be able to assess her for one of those rolling frames? Or something else? She does her own personal care etc, it’s just the going out of the house bit.

TotemIcePole Mon 18-Dec-17 19:53:24

Ring your Council Access Team to be seen quicker.

Also ask G.P for a referral to Community O.T & Physio.

Camelsinthegobi Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:55


TotemIcePole Mon 18-Dec-17 21:35:28

The assessment can look at any of the following for an adult;

Support you need to help you explain your situation and be involved in your assessment

Any support you currently receive

Your health conditions and disabilities

Personal care (eating, dressing, washing, etc.)

Your medication

Day-to-day activities, such as preparing food, cleaning and shopping

Mobility and moving around

Managing paperwork and your finances

Social relationships and activities

Work, training, education and volunteering

Your living situation

Your mental health and wellbeing

Safety and risks

Caring responsibilities

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 18-Dec-17 21:47:20

I'm an OT - walking aids are usually a physiotherapist's department. Your best bet it to ask for a referral through her GP or even just go to your local disabled living shop. They're not that expensive and I've always found staff in the shops that I've used to buy stuff privately for my mum to be really quite knowledgable. She'd be on a waiting list for any kind of therapy, unless she has a bad fall, so you're better off sorting something else out yourself sooner rather than later, then at least she can make do until she gets a professional opinion.

thesandwich Tue 19-Dec-17 09:58:57

I agree with elphaba- visiting a disabled aids shop would be a good idea for a fast solution. She could get a wheeler with a seat on it.
They also check for height etc of the handles. Worth asking gp for a referral but it may take time over Christmas.

Camelsinthegobi Thu 21-Dec-17 19:48:39

Thanks for the advice. We bought one today from a shop, and she’s already using it happily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: