Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Advice re elderly mum

(6 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Thu 09-Nov-17 17:18:04

Long history - my mum's 92, lives alone with four x double handed care calls a day. Prior to being in hospital with pneumonia, she was being hoisted with a toilet sling to use the commode. She is incontinent and wears pads. The hospital didn't hoist her at all during her stay, and probably as a result has lost her sitting balance and is so weak so can't use the commode. She is now back home and is very weak and hardly eating anything. I've now spoken with her (new) carers, and they said that she's not been for a poo for around 2 weeks. She's hardly eating anything, which is partly I would imagine down to this, but also recovery from pneumonia, and possible respiratory failure (not sure what stage this is at - just waiting for GP visit next week to try and see how she is).
I've spoken to the District Nurse who says we can ask her GP for something to help with the constipation and will hopefully have this tomorrow/early weekend as they need to administer it.
Anyone had any experience of this at all? Any advice? Also wanting some suggestions re food - she's not many teeth left poor love, and needs a high fat diet according to Dr. At the moment she seems to living off soup and custard pots. I do feel that if she can get rid of the constipation, eat a bit more, she might regain enough strength to at least be ale to hoist her back out of bed for a couple of hours a day to at least give her a little bit of a change of scenery!
Any advice much appreciated.

thesandwich Thu 09-Nov-17 21:51:27

So sorry to hear this. I can’t offer any advice but hope someone can... there are some wise ones on here.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Thu 09-Nov-17 22:02:08

Thanks- will be speaking to Dr tomorrow about the constipation. Food ideas welcome!

thesandwich Thu 09-Nov-17 22:04:08

Rice pudding? Sorry I can’t help more.mashed banana?

Inarutneedhelp Thu 09-Nov-17 22:09:59

Hope you get sorted . Just thought if she eating custard heat up a tin of prunes and give with custard . That really should help.

Then maybe poached egg or steamed fish if teeth a problem .

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Fri 10-Nov-17 12:57:57

Thanks everyone. District nurse probably going to have to administer an enema - hopefully once she has got sorted we can try and get her a bit stronger

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: